It has been a long time coming, but I'm now one of you!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thunder Bay Minnow

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Where to start?

Might as well tell how I came to being one of you!

My employment has brought me back to an area that I loved as a child when I spent my summer camping on the shores of Lake Huron in northern Michigan while my father worked on a crew salvaging the wreck of the “Nordmeer”. My employment has a partnership with the Thunder Bay National Marine Sanctuary http://www.thunderbay.noaa.gov/ Which has educated me as to a lot of data and some cool video to what lies below the surface of Lake Huron. Since coming here in the summer of 2006 I have had the pleasure of meeting some great people in underwater exploration. Bob Ballard and Jean Michel Cousteau to name a few. I even had the pleasure of accompanying a couple of them aboard while they worked in our waters, only due to my position within government. Of course they discussed with me what I was missing and I did say that when I got some time I would like to learn. Well in the early spring of 2006 our County Sheriff came to me with a problem. His dive team had fallen apart. Under Michigan law the Sheriff is responsible for body recoveries. His team also plays a critical roll with underwater rescues. With the entire Thunder Bay National Marine Sanctuary under his jurisdiction this gave me great cause for concern. It was then that I offered my assistance to the Sheriff as a administrator of his dive team. So I then contacted Karen Melton and enrolled in her next available class. So here I am with more dives under my belt in my first year than a lot of divers I’ve met get in their whole life. I would encourage any diver to seek out their local dive team and offer to volunteer. This allows a diver many more opportunities to “get wet” (in some cases places that normal people don't think about diving), get additional training (in some cases at no cost) and a sense of giving back to a community.

Thanks to all!!

Jeff

Ossineke, Michigan
On the Shores of Thunder Bay and home to the Thunder Bay National Marine Sanctuary.

Welcome to Scubaboard, you'll have to tell us about the special diving your getting to do, it sounds quite interesting.

Chris

welcome, sounds like you have a good deal going!

Welcome!

You've had a very interesting start into diving!

Enjoy!

Dave C

Congrat's and Welcome to Scubaboard!!!

Welcome to Scubaboard...Sounds like a cool adventure.

hi and welcome to scuba board! i was thinking about diving for the sheriff/ fire dept. when i turn 18. its interesting that you could become a diver for them just like that *snaps* when you arent certified.

Welcome to :sblogo:
:wave-smil :wave-smil
:chicken:

Hi Jeff.

Welcome to diving and to ScubaBoard. Make sure you check out the Great Lakes Wrecking Crew forum on the board. It's a great resource full of divers from Michigan and other Great Lakes states.

Paula

Welcome to SB!

Cheers.

-J.-

Back
Top Bottom