Issues travelling with strobe arms?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CUunderH2O

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi all,

This will be my first trip travelling with a strobe and Ultralight tray and arms plus some extra lenses, as well as my usual camera, housing and batteries. I'll be carrying on all my photo gear. Has anyone had any problems with security and strobe arms? They're not too long, but you never know what they might think when they see them on the x-ray machine.

You shouldnt have a problem,just get ready for a extra search. Also take out all battery and put in a bag or something that is not in the unit "ie strobe" Other than that you should be fine. Mark

Why not check the arms? Doubt they are high on a thief's list of desirables...

Personally, I check everything but I'd definitely be checking stuff like trays and arms etc.

I've taken ultralight arms and a full aluminum housing as carry-ons many times, that was never an issue. I've had a screwdriver confiscated, and they'll make you pull out batteries. Put your tools in a checked bag, the batteries don't really matter. Just expect to have your carry on searched because the reality is your stuff will look slightly unusual. Be polite about it when they ask to open the bag, and you'll go right on through. Even expecting a search, I've passed through about 50% of the time with no search. The search should only take a minute or two even if they do one. Depending on your carry-on, you may want to think about organizing the metallic things that would look most suspicious on top, so they can find what they're looking for faster, then you don't have to waste a bunch of time repacking.

CUunderH2O:
Hi all,

This will be my first trip travelling with a strobe and Ultralight tray and arms plus some extra lenses, as well as my usual camera, housing and batteries. I'll be carrying on all my photo gear. Has anyone had any problems with security and strobe arms? They're not too long, but you never know what they might think when they see them on the x-ray machine.

I generally check all my housing and strobe equipment, simply because there is just too much and it weighs too much for me to bother carrying it on. I do carry the more delicate stuff like the camera body and lenses in my carry on backpack. For the strobes, I just make sure that the power is locked off (my Ike DS125s have a lock switch), the strobe arms are disconnected. Never had any problems. They did pull my bag aside on the way home from San Andres last month, but after a quick inspection, there let it through without any issues.

Yeah, I normally check the housing; it's too bulky to carry and I don't like to carry too much stuff in my backpack. I only take one set of batteries with me on the plane just in case security asks me to turn on the camera, but they're not usually in the camera. All other batteries are in a box in my checked luggage. I always check my tools, so that'll be fine. But I would like to keep the more delicate stuff like the camera, strobe and lenses with me. I think I'll check the tray & arms with the housing.

Sigh... Just when I figured out how to pack light, I buy more photo gear!

CUunderH2O:
Hi all,

I generally check arms. In fact I check the housing, and carry on the camera. One can only carry on so much, and I'd rather be without my housing than my camera even if loosing either is a bad thing.

I have put arms in my carryon, and never had an issue. If they don't like what they see on the XRAY, then they are going to open the bag. I average my carryon being inspected about 50% of the time. When your bag is stuffed with cords, batteries, camera's, lenses, flash equipment, and various other odd looking stuff, they tend to want to look inside.

Back
Top Bottom