Isolation Manifold Types for Doubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RDP

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have looked in the archives and not been able to find an answer to my question. If I have overlooked a thread, please direct me to it.

I am putting together my first set of doubles, and I am trying to determine which manifold I will use. I have a set of Faber 95's & bands. I have the potential of using these with a couple of different setups (yoke and din).

Questions:

The only yoke/din convertable manifolds out there seem to be 200bar. The local LDS said it would be better to get 300bar so they could be used on any tanks. Comments?

I plan on Cave and Wreck diving, so I want a sturdy setup. Some of the setups out there look kind of week. Suggestions?

What is the difference between a standard Isolation Manifold and a Rotation Isolation Manifold? I have an idea, but nothing concrete.

Please feel free to share any other informaion that might be helpful.

I've not seen pressed steel manifolds. If you are talking about the PST valves that come on the new E8 series tanks [the ones rated to 3442], those are 200 BAR valves. The PST valves are actually Thermo valves [or at least they are inside... I think they are OEM'ed but I'm not positive about that].

The obvious difference between 200 BAR and 300 BAR is the depth of the port. A 300 BAR regulator can screw into either 200 or 300 bar valve, but a 200 BAR reg won't make a seal in a 300 BAR valve [that's by design].

Likewise, the DIN to Yoke converters are designed to only fit the lower pressure 200BAR valves, not the 300 BAR valves.

So it comes down to: Do you want to use a inserts with yoke regs and use a 200 BAR manifold, or do you want to convert your regs to 300 BAR DIN and use a 200 or 300 BAR manifold.

Of course you coudl always get a 200 BAR manifold now, convert your regs to DIN, and then upgrade the manifold when you get the conversion done.

Personally I prefer 300 BAR manifolds

[And i'm gearing up to sell a scubapro 200 bar manifold if you are interested]

Edit: Oh... about 'sturdy'. That really comes down to getting good fitting bands. I can't stress enough the quality that is highland mills bands. [got a set of #803 Highland Bands compatable with that scubapro manifold I can sell too :wink:]

If you plan to do cave and wreck diving, there is no rhyme or reason why you would want to use Yoke. Besides, once you switch to DIN there is really no reason to keep switching from DIN back to yoke and vice versa. Get the 300 Bar. Halcyon and Sea Elite make good ones and stick with DIN.

You say you want sturdy... DIN is more sturdy than yoke and 300 Bar is more sturdy than 200 Bar

Pressed Steel does not make valves. The ones they sell are Thermo.

Thermo is about the best manifold / valve you can get. They are the cleanest. Have excellent internal components and are easy to service. Plus they have an excellent saftey (burst) disk assembly.

Ideally if you should probably use the 300 bar (9 thread) outlet. They make it in both 300 bar (din only) and 232 bar (7 thread) outlet with donut for Yoke regs and fillers. Either will work great with Din regs.

We stock them in both flavors.

Regards,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom