ISO Advice on New Set Up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nubiesan

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
After using a canon A 620 for several years, I am ready to move on to a new set up. I currently own a fanta sea tray and strobe set up which I would like to keep.

I don't want to spend a fortune -- any suggestions that would use the strobe and stay under $500?

Since you're asking in the Nikon forum, I'm guessing you're looking for something Nikon. For $500 I'd go with a P5100 and the Fantasea housing. It won't be a huge step up from the A620 you curently have, but it is 2 years newer technology.

Basic specs of the P5100:
Full PASM controls
12.1 MPix
3.5x optical zoom (35mm-123 mm equivalent)
2.5" LCD with 230,000pixels
it is a good chink smaller & lighter than the A620 & made of mangesium alloy instead of plastic.
take a look HERE for more.

I'm also certain that a fantasea housing would work perfectly with a fantasea tray & strobe set up.

I have a P5000 (only 6 months older than the P5100) and have been very happy with it and am only now getting the Fantasea housing for it. If I could afford it (and weren't waiting for the P6000 housings) I'd be all over the fisheye housing LINK for it.

Thanks for the quick reply!

How does the Fantasea housing stack up against other brands? I have not heard much about them

I currently only own a Fantasea housing for my p4. It's a pretty decent housing and after almost 2 years with it, my only complaints are that the latch is a PITA to open and that the controls are quite a hassle underwater. Both of these issues have been addressed in the newer housings (like the one for the P5100). The latches are now stainless steel buckles and the controls are now directly over the camrea's buttons (no more needing to rotate rocker arms over the camera's buttons like in my P4 housing) plus the new housings have been made more compact and come with 46mm threadded lens ports (for attaching add-on lenses).

In build quality I'd say they're comparable to some of the OEM type housings (the housings that canon or olympus make for their cameras). It's similar in quality to a firend's Canon housuing for her A720 and similar to the Nikon housing I have for a S3. They're no seatool or patima aluminum housing, but then you're not paying nearly as much either.

It's also reassuring that Fantasea includes 1 year DEPP insurance on all their housings - basically if it floods depp replaces the camera. After 1 year you can renew the insurance, but you pay for it as opposed to Fantasea - they only pay the first year.

I bought my housing from Jack Connick (a member here on SB) and he's been great with follow up questions I've had. He's always been quick to reply to my emails and even get Fantasea involved when I had questions that he coudln't directly answer himself.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom