ISO 100 or 400

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NZ diver

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi All,

My apologies if this has already been discoursed I am new to photography and this forum.

I have purchased a Sea & Sea MX10 today and am obviously keen to try it out.

I have done abit of searching on the net and some people recommend ISO 100 and others ISO 400 film.

My question is would the ISO 400 be better in dirtier water? Most of my diving will be done in New Zealand where our viz where I live is only 3 - 10 meters.

Thanks

Welcome to ScubaBoard!

ISO 400 film is really nice now so I'd go with that when you know your water is dark. You won't notice a difference between 400 and 100 when you get your film developed in the vast majority of cases.

Have fun with your new toy!

Thanks, could you recommend any film?

I personally always liked Fuji's range but to be honest I haven't shot a roll of film in years and years so don't know if there is much difference between them any more or not.

Used to be that Kodak's tended slightly bluer so I didn't like it as much until you got to their excellent 25 speed.

Agfa used to make some beautiful 100 speed - had awesome oranges, purples, reds etc without being obnoxious about it.

But I don't use film now and it would drive me crazy to try LOL

Welcome to the board. I use to shoot an MX-10 but it has been years. I always liked 100 speed but the modern 400 should do as well. Like alcina, I found Fuji had colors more to my liking. For what it is worth, the 100/400 speed switch in the MX-10 really does very little. It simply controls the calibration of the internal light meter and has zero impact on the rest of the camera so unless your using the light meter, the switch setting does not matter and you can use any other speed film as well as long as you set the correct F-stop for the lighting conditions. Do a search on the board for other post. Here is a link to a long thread you might find interesting.
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/strobes-lighting/149224-mx10-ys40a.html

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom