Question Isn't it just a few mouse clicks for a dive center to verify dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dfad

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm close (at least I think so) to get my Open Water certification completed, but I am really confused by the situation with the dive center not verifying my referral dives. Is there something really complex that someone in a dive center should do to verify the dives, or it's just a 'lowest priority task' for someone?

I got my initial training with SSI in the USA, then I had a short vacation in Caribbean where I had two training dives with a local dive center, planning to take two more when I'm back home - my vacation was really short and it was with family so I couldn't dedicate another morning.
The instructor told me to log the dives in SSI mobile app, and then the dive center would be able to verify them. So I did the same day, I informed the instructor, and no action was taken since that - four days passed, I remind him daily.

So my question: how complex is the process of verification of referral dives? Does an instructor have to file some forms, that takes time? Some other action that can't be done quickly? Or it's just a few mouse clicks really, but a kind of task that instructors hate to do?

I don’t know the procedure for SSI, but for PADI referral paperwork has to be signed and sent/brought to the dive center doing the open water dives. The paperwork verifies that the class work and confined water skills were completed. I’m wondering if it’s similar for SSI but your local dive shop gave you incorrect information.

New diver here but in my opinion it sounds like you are taking the absolute most complicated route to get your ow cert. perhaps that’s part of the shops confusion.

I'm not sure the process for verifying referral checkout dives, but usually in SSI land, "verifying a dive" is a matter of the diver scanning an instructor or dive shop's QR code in the SSI app.

I suggest you talk with the dive shop you did your OW course with to figure out next steps.

I don’t know the procedure for SSI, but for PADI referral paperwork has to be signed and sent/brought to the dive center doing the open water dives. The paperwork verifies that the class work and confined water skills were completed. I’m wondering if it’s similar for SSI but your local dive shop gave you incorrect information.
As for papers, the instructor signed that standard SSI exam tracking sheet right after the dives, and I also have a photo of this paper after he signed. Not a scan however.

New diver here but in my opinion it sounds like you are taking the absolute most complicated route to get your ow cert. perhaps that’s part of the shops confusion.
Maybe... But there were reasons to choose this way.
This week was the earliest when it was possible to start. It's not too warm yet here where I live, so training dives in the local quarry started only one day before I flew to my vacation. In this situation, I could not miss a chance to get a bit wet in a tropical ocean. But it was a family trip, it was only 4 days long, so I just had no time to do all four dives there - I needed to spend time with my family.

I'm not sure the process for verifying referral checkout dives, but usually in SSI land, "verifying a dive" is a matter of the diver scanning an instructor or dive shop's QR code in the SSI app.
Good to know, thanks!
I had scanned my instructor's QR code when I added him as a dive buddy, and then I added him as a buddy for these dives. Is there another QR code that you mentioned, and if yes, what should I ask for the next time?

Good to know, thanks!
I had scanned my instructor's QR code when I added him as a dive buddy, and then I added him as a buddy for these dives. Is there another QR code that you mentioned, and if yes, what should I ask for the next time?
Sounds like you might have successfully verified the dives in the app. On each dive, there should be a green shield symbol on the main logbook page and on the detail page for each dive, there should be a section that says Verified By with your instructor's name.

For future dives when you're not with an instructor, you'll log the dives in the app, and then the next time you're in an SSI shop, you can ask to verify your past dives and scan the shop QR code.

Sounds like you might have successfully verified the dives in the app. On each dive, there should be a green shield symbol on the main logbook page and on the detail page for each dive, there should be a section that says Verified By with your instructor's name.
Ah, nice to know again, thanks!

Ah, nice to know again, thanks!
You did not verify the dives by scanning the instructor’s QR when you added him as a buddy; you just added a buddy. You must scan his QR after each dive in order to verify that dive in the app. Your instructor should have done this with you on the spot. There is no reason for a shop to do it, although they can.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom