Islands off Izu: Oshima/ Niijima/ Hachijojima

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pakman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Thinking of swinging through Tokyo later this summer to visit some old friends. We're thinking of maybe doing a long weekend dive trip out of Tokyo. I'd love to go to Ogasawara but the 24hr ferry to get there might be a killer. Anyone recommend some nice dive spots off of Izu? Oshima/ Niijima/ Hachijojima? I figure Oshima and Nampajima are going to be packed with the usual summer weekend crowd...

Izu Oshima is still cold water, better to go out to Hachijojima or Miyakejima.

My Divemaster like Shikinejima.

Just remember to book really early, ferry tickets go on sale 2 months before and are usually sell out very very quickly during the summer season.

As for Miyakejima, have things recovered a bit since the volcano eruption in 2000? I remember hearing that a lot of the coral ended covered in ash.

nothing set in stone yet, but possibly early August (peak season... :( )

Which reminds me, I should mention you guys (Jim and Matt) to my friends (couple of Americans working in Tokyo). They usually go overseas for diving but lately are finding they can't get the time off from work for the usual 1-2 week liveaboard and I think they're interested in exploring some of the local diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom