Island Diving - Need Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bighiller

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I'm coming over to the island to dive and have a couple of questions I hope the fine folks here on SB can help me figure out.

I'd like to make 3 dives on Saturday (one a night dive) and 2 on Sunday.

I was thinking about Madrona Pt as I liked it the one time I was there and would like to explore it more. I was thinking about one night dive and wonder how Madrona would be and if there might be a more interesting place to do a night dive.

The other issue I have is that I need to get my bottles filled on Saturday night/Sunday morning so I can make the other 2 dives on Sunday, but it looks like the LDS in Nanaimo are closed on Sunday...

I thought about maybe diving at madrona, then sunday morning driving down to Victoria and getting them filled at the Ogden Point Dive Centre and diving ogden point. Only issue is the drive to Vic and if Ogden Pt DC can fill them 'on-demand' for me to bang out two dives.

Also, I'm looking for a place to crash for the night (cheapy-cheapy).

Ideas? Dive buddies?

It definitely will be tricky to get your cylinders filled on short notice. Maybe your best bet is to see if you can get onto Ken's boat (divers choice) for Sunday. If you show up with empty cylinders, he can fill thrum on the boat for you.

Another option is after you are done shore diving in Parksville, is to drive up to Comox. Bill at pacific pro dive could likely give you a quick fill at his shop. I think his shop is open Sunday, and if you don't want to fork out $$ for a boat dive with him, he could likely point out some good shore dives for you.

I would love to join you, but can't this weekend.

It seem pretty bizzare that all the shops in the Nanaimo area would be closed on Sundays. Nanaimo doesn't strike me as a church town. The shops in Victoria should all be able to fill your tanks while you wait. It might be a short or long wait depending on how busy they are and if there are any tanks ahead of you. I'm diving (hopefully) at Race Rocks tommorow on the Ogden Point boat, otherwise I would have met up for at least one dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom