Isla Mujeres: Worth the trip?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Guitarcrazy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My wife and I have been diving for a couple of years, and have done 6 trips to Cozumel, 1 to Roatan, 1 to Puerto Vallarta, and a bit in California. We are thinking of taking a short trip to Isla Mujeres in September, in hopes of seeing the end of the whale shark migration. I know they only let you snorkel with them, and it is a very long boat ride. That being said, is the rest of the diving around the island worth the trip? Would we be wishing we were in Cozumel instead? Thanks.

. . . That being said, is the rest of the diving around the island worth the trip? Would we be wishing we were in Cozumel instead?

Not really. Yes. Combine Isla Mujeres with Cozumel if you want good diving AND a whale shark outing.

I've only been to Isla Mujeres twice, and have made multiple trips to Cozumel. I wouldn't go to Isla Mujeres just to dive, but still found it worth doing a couple of days diving both times. Since I knew the diving wouldn't compare to Cozumel, my expectations were not the same and I enjoyed the dives. As much as I like Isla Mujeres, I agree that going to Cozumel if you want good diving is a better choice.

We really want to see whale sharks, and it seems Isla Mujeres is the easiest way to do so. Just wondering if we should do 3 days in Isla, and then head to Cozumel, or just plan on more relaxing and not necessarily diving on Isla Mujeres. Is there anything else to do in Isla Mujeres?

Yes you should definitely dive Isla Mujeres! Avoid the underwater museum, biggest tourist trap ever! But the Manchones Reefs are amazing if you like quantity and variety of fish... You will never see the amount of fish we have in Cancun/Isla Mujeres in Cozumel... Cozumel has crazy beautiful reefs, walls and drift diving but nowhere near the density of marine life we have on our reefs... Contact me in private for more info and I can get you excellent prices for your whaleshark and diving trips!

Yes you should definitely dive Isla Mujeres! Avoid the underwater museum, biggest tourist trap ever! But the Manchones Reefs are amazing if you like quantity and variety of fish... You will never see the amount of fish we have in Cancun/Isla Mujeres in Cozumel... Cozumel has crazy beautiful reefs, walls and drift diving but nowhere near the density of marine life we have on our reefs... Contact me in private for more info and I can get you excellent prices for your whaleshark and diving trips!

Thanks for the reply. We are looking at possibly coming 9 September through maybe 14 or 15 September. Are the chances of seeing the whale sharks still good that late in the season?

Some years ago my wife and I did a 1 night stop in the north Cancun hotel zone. Then the next morning took a short van ride and not that long of a boat ride to isla Contoy area for whale sharks, mantas, and some pretty decent snorkeling with lunch on the way back. Excellent day! We had checked out and arranged to use the spa at the hotel after, then a private ride to the ferry and on to Cozumel for a week. We both thought this was a great trip, and getting to depart from CZM is a nice bonus.

Fist, lemme say that I love Isla Mujeres, and have spent a lot of time there, so I don't mean to sound like I'm down on the place. That being said, other than the whale shark thing, there's no real upside to going to a lot of trouble and expense to go over, or to make it a main vacation destination (unless you really want the small, quiet, relaxed vibe the island has, in which case it may be ideal).
The island is surprisingly small, and downtown itself is very limited, and is largely filled with exactly the same tourist-y shops you'll find everywhere else, and you'll pretty much take in the whole place, in a very short time. For the most part, diving Isla is gonna be going to the same sites they'll take you to from Cancun (which aren't anything special, either).
But, I wouldn't recommend Cancun over Isla, because Cancun is an absolute zoo, so I would enthusiastically recommend another trip to Cozumel (or even Playa) over Isla Mujeres. You have so many more options, basically at your fingertips (more room to wander and explore, more shops and restaurants, closer to many of the ruins, better beaches, better ocean diving, closer to the popular cenotes, etc.)
JMHO,YMMV, worth what you paid for it ! :D

(working hard on Isla back in the day ! )
BOAT-2.jpg

BOAT.jpg

My wife and I have been diving for a couple of years, and have done 6 trips to Cozumel, 1 to Roatan, 1 to Puerto Vallarta, and a bit in California. We are thinking of taking a short trip to Isla Mujeres in September, in hopes of seeing the end of the whale shark migration. I know they only let you snorkel with them, and it is a very long boat ride. That being said, is the rest of the diving around the island worth the trip? Would we be wishing we were in Cozumel instead? Thanks.
Personally I LOVE Isla easy dives all day lazy non traffic and if ever you want a dive at Light Speed have an operator take you to the point where the caribbean meets the Atlantic my wife was bumping off of loggerhead turtles bigger than her! Plus you have the museum and a wreck between Can Cun and Isla where Eagle Rays hang out all day bad current Oh then there is the town itself. More at my YouTube began diving Coz in 1971 big changes with the cruise ships scarred all the fish from there better around Playa de Carmen. CanCun has one the best reefs I have been on Discovery Can Cun I think was the dive shop I
Bull sharks females come to the Playa de Carmen area November to January to have babies and are docile at this time usually maybe sort of
I find everybody has an opinion but videos do not lie

Dave Pressler the real one
MeWebBike.jpg

BTW
if in need of a 2 bedroom full kitchen sleeps 6 NOT all inclusive biggest rip off ever we have certificates for $1,000 a week Vidanta Resort just north or Playa Vidanta Resort Mayan Riviera rental NON all inclusive 18 hole golf waterpark dive shop - YouTube

Back
Top Bottom