Ishigaki

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Isabella

New
Reaction score
I'm an English teacher in Osaka, thinking about my Xmas/NY holidays.
What's the diving like in Ishigaki in December (22nd - Jan 3rd). Any chance of seeing Manta Rays or Hammerhead sharks or is not the season. Is it still worth a trip at this time of year? Any recommended dive sites? Anywhere else nearby I should visit?
Thanks
Isabella

Hey Isabella. I'm in Nagoya. I've found it more cost effective to hit Thailand, Saipan, or the Philippines. It's much warmer there at least. Dove in the Sea of Japan last June, and it was cold cold cold. Reports of 24C waters now in Japan, so this might be the time!

I have been to Thailand and Philippines, and will go again. However, this will probably be my only chance to go to Ishigaki as I'll probably be leaving Japan in April next year. Thanks anyway.

That is not the prime time for Mantas but they can be seen. Hammerheads are in Yonaguni not ishigaki and that timeframe is the start of the season for them.

Is it possible to stay on Ishigaki Island and do a dive trip to Yonaguni? or should we stay a few days on Ishigaki and then a few days somewhere else?
In your opinion, is this a bad time to do a diving trip in this area, should I look at somewhere else, or is it still ok?
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom