Is Underwater Metal Detecting dead in Georgia, Alabama, and Florida?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gglockhart

Registered
Reaction score
I know in Georgia, Alabama, and Florida claims anything that has been underwater for 50 years or more cannot be disturbed, if caught at minimum you can be charged with disturbing cultural artifacts, but can they still be used for looking for modern jewelry. I heard that Florida considers hand fanning a dredging or one diver told me he was threatened with by a Florida DNR officer. What about metal detecting in the water at beaches? It appears underwater metal detecting is dead in these states or am I misunderstanding? Anyone with experience with this?

I know in Georgia, Alabama, and Florida claims anything that has been underwater for 50 years or more cannot be disturbed, if caught at minimum you can be charged with disturbing cultural artifacts, but can they still be used for looking for modern jewelry. I heard that Florida considers hand fanning a dredging or one diver told me he was threatened with by a Florida DNR officer. What about metal detecting in the water at beaches? It appears underwater metal detecting is dead in these states or am I misunderstanding? Anyone with experience with this?
In florida it just depends if the area you want to go is "leased" for treasure hunting by the state since it's state sovereignty submerged lands. That applies to both salt and fresh water.

Back
Top Bottom