is TTL important for A710

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

szeytinoglu

Reaction score
I'm buying canon A710. I'm also buying ike ds-125 strobe. For housing normally I would buy canon housing but just for the sake of TTL I'm buying İke housing which is much more expensive so that strobe will be compatible with the housing to supply TTL flash system. Am I correct. Will TTL improve quality or is it not so much important for a camera like A710? Is TTL system important only for dSLR system?

TTL can work on point and shoot or bridge cameras as long as you have the appropriate connection between your camera and strobe.

As far as quality goes, I think it still depends on the skills of the photographer. Knowing how to aim and manually adjust your strobe (or camera settings) will improve the quality of your pictures. TTL makes it easier on you as you should not have to manually adjust your strobe. However, you may still want to adjust your strobe based on the exposure results of your picture/histogram. If the TTL function does not provide the appropriate light for your photograph, at least you know you are close, and can manually adjust the strobe for the result you are trying to achieve.

Did that make any sense?

The Ikelite housing for the Canon A710 IS does not supply Ikelite's TTL Conversion Circuitry. You can slave a DS-125 optically via the Manual EV Controller, but you'll adjust the output manually (10 power settings in 1/2 f-stop increments).

You aren't throwing money away by buying the Ikelite housing. it is a lot more robust than the Canon alternative, and you'll appreciate Ikelite's after sale support if you ever have a problem.

If you want automatic "TTL" Flash with this camera, the only strobes we've been able to make work reliably are Inon's D-2000s, D-2000, or Z-240. Inon's S-TTL doesn't miss. The deluxe packages listed on our site have a drop down option for Ikelite compact housings.

Back
Top Bottom