Is trapping air an issue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

norcaldiver

Reaction score
Thinking about going to BP/Wings. I have tried on the Zeagle unit inthe shop, but didn't have anyone there that has actually dove it, or any BP.
I'm wondering if anyone has experience the straps cutting off the air flow and/or creating an air pocket in the legs/arms of a drysuit. Right now I can loosen my BC up and roll the bubble around to warm up the feet/shoulders/etc. It just didn't seem that you could easily adjust the harness once you got it on-beside don't you want it nice and snug for trim?
Thanks

The waist belt is the only part that needs to be "snug"

You shouldn't be wearing anything tight enough that air cannot move around inside the drysuit. Your undergarments should provide plenty of room for that.

As long as you put this in the Tek section.

A drysuit is used for exposure protection. A wing is used for buoyancy control. You only have enough gas in the drysuit to offset squeeze, and the shoulder straps are therefore not an issue.

And you don't adjust or loosen up a bp/w once you have it on and are in the water.

MD

My buddy dives a Zeagle BP/Wing and I dive a Halcyon.

The Zeagle stuff seems mostly ok, with the following concerns:

a) When he first received the unit the shoulder straps were crossed. Some people like to dive crossed, some don't. He's uncrossed them.

b) The Z that is cut in the backplate is pretty sharp, and doesn't do anything other than look pretty. Maybe I'm being paranoid here, but I'd be tempted to fill it in with something or at least to round off the edges.

c) As I recall the larger bladders are all doubles. My buddy capped the second bladder and removed the inflator for it. Opinions vary...

They seem like they're nicely put together out of quality materials, at least to my eye...

MechDiver once bubbled...
... A drysuit is used for exposure protection. A wing is used for buoyancy control. You only have enough gas in the drysuit to offset squeeze, and the shoulder straps are therefore not an issue.

Amazingly, there seem to be a lot of tech divers who are using their dry suits for buoyancy. This seems like such a bad idea.

It's harder on the DS, harder to control, less lift is available, etc.

I just have to remember to be careful during recreational D/S checkouts not to blab about how the BC is for buoyancy and the DS is for staying dry/warm as it irritates the OW instructors ... :boom:

I have never had a problem with trapping air in my Drysuit, from the reasons mentioned in divermasterB's post.

I used the single harness for the first couple of months, it was ok getting into but such a pain getting out of it on the boat after 2 hours underwater, so I have now switched to the deluxe harness. I have removed the chest strap, as they are not necessary. I also find it gives me a much nicer fit and is more comfy underwater.

I am using the 55# Dual bladder I find it perfect for twin 100Cft Steels and my stage bottle.

Oh yes my drysuit is a poseidon Jetsuit TNG Technica

Thanks for the info guys and yeah I know BC for bouyancy..blabablabla...blah. I was wondering about that Deluxe strap and what the DIR crowd thought of the quick realeases-technically I'm sure they see it as a failure point.

Atticus, the one I looked at has an under-the-arm dump. What does your buddy think about that-if he has it. If it works, great, it just seems a little strange to me-the hose was super long.

I know his has butt dumps, but I'm not sure if that's the same thing you're refering to?

I'll look again / ask him about it when I see him.

- Atticus

norcaldiver once bubbled...
Thanks for the info guys and yeah I know BC for bouyancy..blabablabla...blah. I was wondering about that Deluxe strap and what the DIR crowd thought of the quick realeases-technically I'm sure they see it as a failure point.

Who cares what the DIR crowd think ?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom