Is this true?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tangfish

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I just read an article from scuba diving magazine about diving off of texas. they say that the oil platforms form artificial reefs that are among the best diving in the caribbean. is this true or is it a bunch of puffery? I'd like to experience it if it is true, as getting to tx is a lot cheaper and easier than other places. but for a diver who gets seasick are there many options? what is the best diving i can get to without too long or rough of a boat ride, and where should I fly into in tx to get started? I figure i'll rent a car and just do a drive around the coastline and get some dives in, maybe even meet up with some of you swamp divers!

The platforms are in the gulf and would probably be considered some of the best diving in the gulf...but not in the Caribbean since that sea is a bit farther south :wink:

The Texas Flower gardens http://www.gulf-diving.com/ is another great dive but the boat ride is long.

Once you get a ways offshore in the Gulf the water gets beautifully clear and the rigs out there provide structure for sea life to form communities. Diving these rigs is GREAT!
As for a rough ride, while we don't usually get the monstrous waves of the North Atlantic and on average our waves are not as big day-to-day as the Pacific, the Gulf of Mexico is the most variable piece of water I've seen anywhere in the world (no, I haven't sailed the Great Lakes yet - and I understand they can turn on ye too). Last weekend the seas were essentially flat for two days; it can go to 8' seas in half a heartbeat, and the period tends to be shorter than in the open ocean, so 8' seas in the gulf will beat you to death while they may not be too bad elsewhere in the world.
(On more than one occasion I've jumped in the water with flat seas and come back to a boat where we dang near couldn't get on the ladder!)
Bottom line - you can watch the marine forecasts to improve your chances of scheduling a smooth ride, but the Gulf's the Gulf, and she does what she wants. I can only guarantee a smooth ride after the fact..
Rick

TX oil rigs are probably not a good idea for the travelling diver. And if sea sickness can not be managed, it's probably a really bad idea. FGB trips (maybe one rig dive during the trip) and even inshore rig trip are very weather dependent. Seasonal cancellation rates vary from a low of 10% in late summer to 75% plus in early spring. It's a rare day that diving is cancelled in Cozumel. In Sept, "blue water" moves in to within a couple miles of shore and small boats can be launched in the surf and reach near-shore rigs. But that too is very weather dependent.

Yes, if you catch the weather on a nice day the gulf rigs can be great dives. However it's usually a pretty long boat ride to get there--the ones I've dived out of Port Aransas are a 1.5-2 hour ride, that's if it's calm.

I wouldn't make a special trip to Texas to dive the rigs, there's just not a guarantee the weather will cooperate. The Texas coast is notorious for wind, and you won't want to be running offshore if it rough, espcially if you get seasick.

In case you're curious, I've got a few rig dive pictures on the web:

http://mailer.fsu.edu/~jwc8398/scuba.html
(scroll down to the bottom of the page.

funkyspelunker:
I just read an article from scuba diving magazine about diving off of texas. they say that the oil platforms form artificial reefs that are among the best diving in the caribbean. is this true or is it a bunch of puffery? I'd like to experience it if it is true, as getting to tx is a lot cheaper and easier than other places. but for a diver who gets seasick are there many options? what is the best diving i can get to without too long or rough of a boat ride, and where should I fly into in tx to get started? I figure i'll rent a car and just do a drive around the coastline and get some dives in, maybe even meet up with some of you swamp divers!

Rick hit Gulf diving on the head. He has also done more of it than I have.

To optimize your trip and enjoyment...

Fly into Houston or Corpus Christi in August or September. Warning... you will begin sweating profusely the second you step off the plane. It will be HOT.

Have your dive trip booked before you come, and watch the weather for a few days just before you leave. There are some links to weather bouys on the TSDT section.

The Rigs offer a range of hydroids, hard corals, small reef fish, larger pelagics, occasional whale sharks, and others. It can become almost like swimming in a fish bowl as many of the smaller fish will hang in amongst the legs for protection. People also like to spear fish the rigs. If you want to pleasure dive the rigs, I do not recommend diving with spearos. (JMHO)

TwoBit

Diving in the Gulf is very weather dependent. Trip can get cancelled morning of the trip. Also, long boat rides to the rigs. Last time I went, current was horrendous, got caught in the current and spent 40 minutes in the current heading to Cuba till boat came and got me. Needless to say, missed that dive. However, rigs are full of life and fish. No telling what you might see including some sharks.

TwoBitTxn:
Rick hit Gulf diving on the head. He has also done more of it than I have.

To optimize your trip and enjoyment...

Fly into Houston or Corpus Christi in August or September. Warning... you will begin sweating profusely the second you step off the plane. It will be HOT.

Have your dive trip booked before you come, and watch the weather for a few days just before you leave. There are some links to weather bouys on the TSDT section.

The Rigs offer a range of hydroids, hard corals, small reef fish, larger pelagics, occasional whale sharks, and others. It can become almost like swimming in a fish bowl as many of the smaller fish will hang in amongst the legs for protection. People also like to spear fish the rigs. If you want to pleasure dive the rigs, I do not recommend diving with spearos. (JMHO)

TwoBit

Everyone has said it nicely. I dive Cozumel and the Flower Gardens. I would recommend taking the trip to the Flower Gardens in mid to late summer if you want calmer waters. In February the Hammerheads school, but 75% of those boats don't go.

I did not mind the long boat ride on the Fling and the Spree, as you sleep during the journey out, and are tired from diving, so watch t.v. on the ride in or eat or sit on the deck. It's a 6 hour boat ride, approximately. If you have to fly in, it's still worth it, and I would fly in to Houston, as that's very near where the Fling and Spree take off. If you fly in to Austin, you could probably arrange car pooling through Tom's Dive and Ski.

The water is clear, and the sea life amazing. You're guaranteed to see at least one interesting thing, if not many. I saw a porcupine fish, spotted eals, barracuda, silky sharks, sea turtle, and many more fish on my first dive out there.

downunderjenn:
I would recommend taking the trip to the Flower Gardens in mid to late summer if you want calmer waters.

Late summer is hurricane season in the Gulf. The water is rarely calm out there at that time. As I've said before, diving around the Flower Gardens is a crap shoot -- and more often than not, the dice are loaded. All the best if you do decide to come, though.

These guys have covered GOM very well. I will add that if you plan on flying here (Houston) to go diving there (GOM) try to fly into Humble or Ellington Field if at all possible. IAH is on the north side of Houston and that the direction you will need to travel to get to departure sites.

Best of Luck,

Toe

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom