Is this possible? caves, ocean, temples and Belize?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Germie

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Ok, still wishes to go to Mexico, but maybe the plans are changed. A friend is looking for a diving holiday. And has Mexico on her list. I still have Mexico on my whishlist. So now we are looking if it is possible to go together.

Some background: My buddy is an experienced diver, has done a full cave course a couple of years ago, finished the course succesfully, so is a certified cave diver, but said directly after the course to the instructor: thanks for the course, but I will never dive in caves again. So since then dived only single tank with normal bcd. But with longhose configuration. Now looks first for ocean dives and maybe want to do some cavedives again. That means of course a twinset again. No problem, I can help her to get some experience in twinset diving again.

Me: cave/trimix diver, and not so interested in ocean dives, but for some days ok. My preferences are caves. I know I cannot do the most demanding cavedives with her. But I don't stay in cavernzones. I will dive in Mexico oc and not cc. Bm or sidemount I don't mind, but in this case I think bm is best option.

What we are looking for:
-2-3 weeks Mexico
-Some days ocean diving. I prefer to dive then twinset, she single tank. I know this are recreational dives, but then I can do 2 dives on a twinset. If not possible I will take a bcd and single tank too. We prefer no guide for this. So just grouptransport, cylinders and so on, but not 'follow the leader' dives and go up as first person has drained his tank.
-Then cavediving. Some days in caves. There are 2 options, first one is that we both go with a guide, but do real cave dives. No stages, just 2 twinsetdives a day. First dives stay on mainline and look from there what is possible. Other option: she will do caverndives and I will dive in caves. I don't have problems to dive solo. So the guide brings us somewhere, stays with her while diving and I do my dives. Lunch and rest together between dives.
-Between days of diving 1-2 days sightseeing.
-If possible visit Belize and do 1-2 days diving there.

So is a combination of ocean diving and cavediving possible? Can that be done with 1 divecenter?
And has anyone experience by going from Mexico to Belize? Costs? And how did you organise that? how was diving in Belize?

While I have no cave diving experience I'm going to predict you will have a really hard time finding dive operators that will allow one of their clients to just disappear on their own during a cavern/cave dive. In the cave diving world maybe it works differently, but anyone you are going to hire to set you up with rec dives isn't going to operate that way. Perhaps you will establish a relationship and build trust over a 2-3 week dive trip with an operator taking you both on cenote dives which can combine cavern and cave portions and get some of your dive desires filled.

Go to Playa Del Carmen. Do your ocean dives off Cozumel. Do your cave dives in Playa or Tulum. You can see temples there as well.

As far as getting operators to let you do stuff by yourself, it's not likely. I know if you have your own gear Protec (Playa or Tulum) will rent you tanks, but you'd have to get your own transportation, etc. They offer guiding, but I don't know if they'd do mixed guiding where they guide your friend and let you pop off into the cave by yourself.

It is possible to dive Belize from Mexico, but I've never done that. It is possible to dive caves in Belize, ocean in Belize, and they have temples in Belize.

There's two fairly easy ways to Belize but since you'll be diving first probably the best way is the ADO bus to Chetumal then the Belize Water Taxi which will drop you on Ambergris for diving or Belize City for connections elsewhere.

ADO Platino - Destinations
Belize Water Taxi | Belize Charter Boats - San Pedro Water Taxi

Another option is to fly from Cancun to Belize City then on from there via bus or local flights. Tropic Air for that flight and also local flights.
Maya Island Air is another option within Belize. Belize Flights - San Pedro, Ambergris caye | Belize City | Placencia | Caye Caulker - Maya Island Air

There's also at least one more water taxi company and my friend who lives in Belize has mentioned taking the bus from Dangriga to Belize city so there must be a Belize Bus company also. IDK the name of either one but Google does.

I think you can do all of those dives in both Mexico and Belize...

I am somewhat familiar with the bus from Cancun to BC... Friends (one of whom is prohibited from visiting the US of A due to a fondness for the Devil's Lettuce a few decades ago...) flew to to Cancun, then took an overnight bus to Belize City.

If I had to characterize their description in one word, it might be "sketchy" but they would do it again I think.

I had no problem with bus travel between Belize and Mexico. The Mexican buses are quite nice, especially if you book First Class or Executive Class or whatever they call the best class of service. As this was several years ago, I don't recall what the Belizean buses were like. I suspect not quite as nice as the Mexican ones.

We will be more than glad to help you plan for your diving trip. Check us out at Diving Mexico - Cenotes, Caves, Caverns, Reefs Playa del Carmen Tulum - Blue Life. We would be happy to work with you to sort out a package that will serve both you and your friend so you both have a great experience in the ocean and the cenotes! For more information please email Fernanda at info@bluelife.com and she will make sure to get you all set up with a really cool diving package.

Hope to dive with you soon!

Back
Top Bottom