Is this an MK20 or MK25???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

masterof0

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have tried researching this and it appears as though it is an MK20, but I just need some validation. All of the schematics that I have seen show the MK25 with rings above the LP ports. The schematics of the MK20 I have seen look like this, but the MK20s that I have seen in the past had a rubber ring above the LP ports. So, Im not sure.....

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• mk25.jpg
    mk25.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 501
Um, from what I understand, the difference between the MK20 and the MK25 were internal. I could be mistaken, but from images I've seen, my armature eye cannot tell the difference.

From my understanding, one of hte differences was the method used to adjust IP. When I pop the top, it appears as though it has a shim which also leads me to believe it is an MK20.

If there is other information or pics I can provide to help determine, please let me know.

It could be either as that was the configuration of the Mk 20 when they switched to the adjustable seat retainer to allow external IP adjustment.

The Mk 20 evolved over time with various detail changes such as small round, large round and finally oval ambient pressure holes, different trim pieces, two different styles of LP port turret, three different types of pistons, changes to the TIS system, etc. One of the detail changes was the new adjustable seat retainer and when that occurred Scubapro decided it was time to call it a Mk 25. So other than the seat retainer, the last Mk 20 and the first Mk 25 are exactly the same.

The Mk 25 has in turn went through several detail changes including larger oval ambient pressure holes, a minor change in the piston stem, more changes to the TIS system, a restyled finned swivel cap and new LP port turret stlying - all of the latter designed to improve heat tranfer and make it more relaible in cold water.

Pop the trim boot off the end near the yoke. If the seat retainer is round with a recess for a large allen wrench it is a Mk 20. If the seat retainer is hex shaped with a small hole in the middle for a small allen wrench, it is a Mk 25 - or it is a very late production Mk 20 that has been converted to a Mk 25. Either one may have shims as the IP was intended more for precision adjustment and shims are still used inside and out.

Pop the trim boot off the end near the yoke. If the seat retainer is round with a recess for a large allen wrench it is a Mk 20. If the seat retainer is hex shaped with a small hole in the middle for a small allen wrench, it is a Mk 25 - or it is a very late production Mk 20 that has been converted to a Mk 25. Either one may have shims as the IP was intended more for precision adjustment and shims are still used inside and out.

Based on this, I took a look (and attached a pic) and it fits the description of an early gen MK25.

Attachments

• IP_port.jpg
    IP_port.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 304
Yep, either an early mk 25 or a late Mk 20 updated to MK 25 status. I am not sure what the serial number cutoff was.

Back
Top Bottom