Is this a problem?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divemed06

Contributor
Reaction score
Just bough a lighlty used tank from my LDS. Is theur a plastic part to the neck of the tank? It seems that a "bubble" has formed on the top of the neck which look like a piece of plastic; however, I can't seem to find the source of this "bubble".Thanks

Beware; that "bubble" is hiding corrosion under it.

It should be removed (use something like your fingernail - NO METAL TOOLS!) or get some aircraft paint stripper (specifically made for Aluminum) and strip the entire tank.

Any significant corrosion will condemn the tank; I'd get a handle on this immediately because it will only get worse and may cost you the tank down the road.

The "best" finish for Aluminum tanks is shotblast/bare - any painted finish is bad news. Those beautiful Catalina tank paint jobs don't stay beautiful long, and then water gets in there, starts the bubbling of the paint, and you end up having to strip it anyway in order to stop it before real damage is done.

This is what the bubble looks like. My LDS is far from home so I thought I would get a bit more input from the board. Thanks

This does not look like corrosion to me. It appears that this bubble is on top of the finish and I wonder if it is just a drop of something (plastic?) that somehow ended up on your tank.

You could try very carefully to scrape it off, but make sure you don't damage the finish.
:snorkel:ScubaRon

I'd leave it alone if you can't get it off with mild detergent and a cloth to scrub with.

Some tanks have a clear coat on them. I've seen it peel but never bubble. My concern is that I wouldn't expect it to bubble unless there was something under it that couldn't get out. What? It's hard to tell from a picture, I'd have it looked at.

is visible underneath.

There DOES appear to be a small amount of corrosion right at that second shoulder. That could cause trouble in the future.

This is why I hate clearcoats or any other kind of paint on tanks.

I bet if you took a fingernail to it you could scrape that part of the finish off - if you can, go ahead and do so, but expect that it'll start flaking off as the clearcoat disbonds over time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom