Is this a Little Dragonfish? Found at Osprey Reef, Coral Sea.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

under water

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,
Does anyone know what this fish is?
I saw this fish at Osprey Reef in the Coral Sea, Australia on the reef at about 40 feet depth at the beginning of December. It was about 6 to 8 inches long and blended in very well with the background.
It didn't have as long a nose as I think the Little Dragonfish has.
I am not sure if he is a juvenile or full grown. At first I thought it might be a juvenile scorpionfish or rockfish, but it has the wrong kind of mouth (see bottom picture).
It was on the coral and moved around a bit, but stayed close to the coral.
It has some kind of structure on his shoulder and has splayed finger-like pelvic fins and a spiny dorsal fin.
Morrisons dragonet (Synchiropus morrisoni).jpg

funnyfish2.jpg

Thanks!

Last edited:
Yes, a type of Dragonet. I googled Synchiropus and saw a few varieties that looked close to your pictures. Maybe Moyer's Dragonet or Marble (Morrison's) Dragonet? I think 6-8 inches is a adult, I have only seen them half that size. Nice find!

Thanks Kapu!
With that info, I was able to home right in on the species..
Morrison's dragonet - (Synchiropus morrisoni)
Fish Index

It was probably a bit less than 6 to 8 inches when I think about it. I forget to account for the magnification

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom