is this a good lens AF-60mm

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thanks guys

mark are the close up pictures of the loggerhead taken with that lens

There are actually two versions of the 60. I have the AF-D like the one you're looking at. The newer AF-S is bigger, supposedly faster focusing and quieter from my understanding, but I haven't used it. The AF-D can hunt a bit on close focus if you don't use the focus limiter but it takes great pictures and is the macro of choice for divers who lack the clear tropical water that lets you shoot from several feet away with the 105. The AF-D will give you close focus right next to the port, but you won't get 1:1 size if the subject isn't right on top of the camera. People like the 105 because you don't have to get right on top of the more skittish subjects.

what do u mean several feet away with the 105 larry, is the 105 a macro lens yes, macro lens are only for close up yes??

I have the AF-S 60mm and have used it with my D70s underwater. I like this lens so much that it has become the standard lens I have on my camera on land too. Great for portraits given the sensor size of the D70s with the 1.5x magnification factor as compared to the 35mm film size standard.

I took this image of a spotted trunkfish using the macro lens from a distance of about two feet

spotted_trunkfish_Bonaire_N.jpg

The 60 is definitely a great lens for any Nikon shooter. Its a fairly easy lens to use, and produces great results. The one you linked to is the older version of the lens, so you can get them on a good deal (in fact I have one listed on ebay right now for cheap). If you have the money for the new faster lens, Id definitely go that way!

Back
Top Bottom