Is this a good deal to buy used for 800 to 1000?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubee-do-be-do

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Aqualung Legend LX main regulator
Apex Egress Octopus regulator
and a Sunnto Cobra dive computer

I may get this this weekend...they have 10 dives on them

Have you priced out this reg/computer setup as a new item at an authorized Aqualung/Apeks dealer?
You really need to do this before even thinking about pulling out your wallet.

10 dives implies light usage, but says nothing about the reg's current performance, how it was maintained, and whether the reg setup requires servicing. A full-on overhaul can cost $50-$120 in labor costs alone. On top of that, you'd have to pay out of pocket for the overhaul kits (1 first stage, 2 second stages). FYI, since you're buying a used reg, there is no transferable warranty or free-overhaul-parts-for-life policy. For some people, those two things are worth purchasing the reg new from an authorized dealer.

If the package were ready-to-dive with all parts being functional, I wouldn't spend anymore than $500 or $600. Nevertheless, I wouldn't be surprised if the seller were insulted by an offer so much lower than the advertised price. Oh, well. The value of dive gear depreciates as soon as one dives it.

• The Legend LX is an excellent reg.
  • The Apeks Egress does breathe well (compact-style, balanced second stage), but I would prefer getting a full size second stage to use as an octo/backup reg.
  • Personally, I'm not a fan of the Cobra, but you might be.

All excellent points. Ad says 'was 1800 new'...but I will think hard about this. Thanks for your input.

This is a VERY GOOD price - but only for the SELLER. If I was selling it, I would be ecstatic to get that much for a used Legend with a Cobra.

But, if I was buiying this setup used, I wouldn't pay more than $500

I'd be ecstatic to see that price, but then again I paid less than that for my doubles regulators. Never liked the cobras either... pm sent on a bit better offer for you

And Welcome to ScubaBoard! :wavey:

Thanks to everyone for these posts. I have been discussing this gear with the same person. Thought the price was high as well. 8 yrs old too.
Let me know if you end up purchasing scubee. Like to see the outcome.

I have thought this over and if you get a used reg for 200 to 300 AND you put a 100 in servicing it, you are REAL close to a new price with a warranty and knowing what you get. The marketing approach used by the manufacturers is very clever, buy new, get warranty, free parts, know what you are getting (peace of mind)...the equipment looks good and is clean with a known history. If you can afford to be in this sport, chances are you have blown a few hundred bucks \ on something that was NOT as critical as how well or if you can breathe 80 feet underwater.

Chances are I will buy a new legend and maybe a new BC. I have a used dive computer, used fins, nearly new wetsuit and a few other things. But my life support items I don't mind spending a little more on. I can cheap out somewhere else.

The other thing is that people buy from people. I want to have a relationship with my LDS, and while they will sell me items they will profit from, I will benefit "profit / benefit" from the wisdom of the people who work there.
I also sell items as an hvac contractor, and if you buy a used furnace and I install it you go to sleep at night.. you have no warranty, and don't know what you have in terms of dependability, safety, etc. But when I sell someone a new hvac system they not only get new name brand equipment with a warranty properly installed and serviced, they get something more important - ME. My wealth of experience and advice is why many customers do business with me in my field.

Any product sold by the public sector that can also be bought on the internet can 'instantly be turned into a commodity, by virtue of the fact that if you shave a few online bucks off you eliminate not only the cost of the brick and mortar store, but the cost of the people who work there.'

Let's all say it together ..'VALUE ADDED'

I have thought this over and if you get a used reg for 200 to 300 AND you put a 100 in servicing it, you are REAL close to a new price with a warranty and knowing what you get.
Not necessarily. It depends on the brand/model of the "used" reg you are buying and its overall condition. For example, last year I paid $200 for a "used" Apeks XTX200 + XTX50 octo. It didn't require any servicing and passed all functional tests. If you price out this particular reg setup, it would probably cost approx. $800-$900 as a new scuba gear package (before adding in tax).

Back
Top Bottom