Is this a good deal. Really appreciate your input.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Trexmdr

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Can you folks tell me if this is a good first rig set?
Large is for me and the medium for my son.
Seems reasonably priced when I think about what new would cost.
We will be diving in Maui for two weeks and checking gear rental there it is about $150/week.
I know I will still have to rent tanks and pay extra for baggage.
So please tell me what you think.
Sincerely,
RT

---------- Post added July 6th, 2013 at 12:29 AM ----------

oops
here is the offer:
Item #1

Selling a complete SCUBA pacakage (minus the tank). Everything in great condition. I don't have time to dive anymore due to my job. :(

Awesome value! Plus super convenient. Get everything in one shot. Save a ton of money and time. It all fits together and matches perfectly.
$500
Includes:
TUSA Liberator Sigma Jacket Style Scuba Diving BCD (medium size)
TUSA Imprex regulator with Imprex II Dive Computer
Dive Suit
Fins
Mask
Snorkel
Booties
Gloves
Dive Knife
... more!

Item #2

I am selling a SeaQuest (aqualung) ProQD BCD size large and Scubapro MK15 1st stage, EON Lux air integrated computer, Ocianic 2nd stage, Octo, and LPI hose for $400. everything is current for overhauls (im a PADI instructor).

We're going to need model #'s to determine if it's decent used gear or old junk.

Tusa doesn't call their computer/reg lines Imprex anymore afaik. Their current computer line is Element/Zen before that is was Platina. I googled it and found two references to their IQ300/400 models that were called Imprex - from 1992 and 1995. Not something I'd be interested in as those older computers often had expensive factory/dealer changeable batteries only. All the new computers are user-serviceable.

Otoh, there's a Liberator BC - model 3200 that's currently sold for around $425. With that gear I'd want some reassurance about when the last service was done. There are countless stories here on SB about people buying good deals used on eBay or Craiglist only to find that it's so corroded as to be no longer serviceable or parts aren't available any longer.

All the softgoods in Item 1 are only good if they fit. If the "dive suit" is also 15 years old, it may have lost most of it's insulation, neoprene breaks down over time. Plus how thick is the wetsuit, you'll roast in Maui if it's a 7Mil.

For Item #2 the Pro QD/QD+ sells for about $200 used. Aqualung still sells a ProQD with their I3 Inflator system new for about $475. The MK15 is no longer sold new but it's a ScubaPro so a good brand. But pairing it with Oceanic 2nds means you'll have to find a dealer certified to work on both brands for your annual service.

I think, but not sure, that an Eon Lux has to be at least 10 years old now also.

Is the same guy selling both Item's? Good pictures/model #'s would be helpful to put a price on most of it.

We're going to need model #'s to determine if it's decent used gear or old junk.

Tusa doesn't call their computer/reg lines Imprex anymore afaik. Their current computer line is Element/Zen before that is was Platina. I googled it and found two references to their IQ300/400 models that were called Imprex - from 1992 and 1995. Not something I'd be interested in as those older computers often had expensive factory/dealer changeable batteries only. All the new computers are user-serviceable.

Otoh, there's a Liberator BC - model 3200 that's currently sold for around $425. With that gear I'd want some reassurance about when the last service was done. There are countless stories here on SB about people buying good deals used on eBay or Craiglist only to find that it's so corroded as to be no longer serviceable or parts aren't available any longer.

All the softgoods in Item 1 are only good if they fit. If the "dive suit" is also 15 years old, it may have lost most of it's insulation, neoprene breaks down over time. Plus how thick is the wetsuit, you'll roast in Maui if it's a 7Mil.

For Item #2 the Pro QD/QD+ sells for about $200 used. Aqualung still sells a ProQD with their I3 Inflator system new for about $475. The MK15 is no longer sold new but it's a ScubaPro so a good brand. But pairing it with Oceanic 2nds means you'll have to find a dealer certified to work on both brands for your annual service.

I think, but not sure, that an Eon Lux has to be at least 10 years old now also.

Is the same guy selling both Item's? Good pictures/model #'s would be helpful to put a price on most of it.

Thanks for you input and I agree that old stuff may not be such a good deal if I end up replacing it all.
What do you think about just buying some BP/W rigs and new or used if I can find them them and getting first and second stage and computer used if I can find something good.
Seems like the BP/W has gotten a lot of attention around here.
Thanks
RT

(Posted before I saw your reply)

Without the computer you can buy new gear in a complete pkg. (less fins/mask/snorkel) for under $600. Around $725 with a computer. What you trade off is that they're going to be entry level gear. If some of the stuff in Item #2 is newer, it might be worth either negotiating a better price without the computer or buying a new one to replace it. I personally wouldn't consider Item 1 at any price.

Here's a few from LeisurePro.

Mares Package #1 - $525
Tusa Package #1 - $550

Cressi R1 Package - $679 - includes a wrist computer but you'd need to add a pressure gauge ($80-120 more) Here's one for $80 - Cressi Mini SPG (Imperial)

Aeris EX200 Complete Package - better pkg. for $725 - includes computer, compass and a back-inflate BCD.

---------- Post added July 6th, 2013 at 01:49 AM ----------

Watch our classifieds. I see new gear there sometimes that I almost can't resist buying even though I don't really need anything. Someone is selling an Oceanic Veo 3.0 new for $250 currently. That's a $400 computer retail.

The BP/W gets a lot of attention from a very vocal minority. I don't think trends on ScubaBoard always reflect the real world. I don't dive one and am not a good person to comment on them. This is my opinion and I won't debate it here with anyone else so as to not hijack your thread.

Last edited:
(Posted before I saw your reply)

Without the computer you can buy new gear in a complete pkg. (less fins/mask/snorkel) for under $600. Around $725 with a computer. What you trade off is that they're going to be entry level gear. If some of the stuff in Item #2 is newer, it might be worth either negotiating a better price without the computer or buying a new one to replace it. I personally wouldn't consider Item 1 at any price.

Here's a few from LeisurePro.

Mares Package #1 - $525
Tusa Package #1 - $550

Cressi R1 Package - $679 - includes a wrist computer but you'd need to add a pressure gauge ($80-120 more) Here's one for $80 - Cressi Mini SPG (Imperial)

Aeris EX200 Complete Package - better pkg. for $725 - includes computer, compass and a back-inflate BCD.

---------- Post added July 6th, 2013 at 01:49 AM ----------

Watch our classifieds. I see new gear there sometimes that I almost can't resist buying even though I don't really need anything. Someone is selling an Oceanic Veo 3.0 new for $250 currently. That's a $400 computer retail.

The BP/W gets a lot of attention from a very vocal minority. I don't think trends on ScubaBoard always reflect the real world. I don't dive one and am not a good person to comment on them. This is my opinion and I won't debate it here with anyone else so as to not hijack your thread.

That is geat advice and I'm going to take it.
I can wait for some good deals on the classified or buy a package new.
Thank you,
You and everyone has been very helpful.
I am still amazed at the generosity of the board members.
Thanks again,
RT

Back
Top Bottom