Is this a corallimorph?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DamselDoc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello everyone,

I just finished up a big trip and now it is time to ID everything. I appreciate any help you can lend. I found this in Key Largo in 25-30 feet. The coloring has not been altered, although I have another shot where I fixed the colors. The other shot is "prettier", but I can save that for the Photography forum :wink:

Thanks...

corallimorph_2_d6_keys_309.jpg

I also found this sponge. I thought that it was star encrusting sponge, but the "stars" are fairly faint. Can anyone confirm (or have other ideas). I currently use the DeLoach series (reef creature) to ID my sponges. I have a large collection of sponge photos. Is there another source that might be good for identifying sponges? (most of my diving is done in the Florida Keys.)

star_encrusting_sponge_1_d6_keys_309.jpg

My guess in anemone - corallimorphs usually have more pronounced balls on the tips of their tentacles. That's just a guess though, I am a Pacific kind of guy.

No idea on the sponge, though - sorry.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom