Is Thermoprene the new Hyperstretch?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

grouchyturtle

Contributor
Reaction score
I've got a Gold Core 3mm that I've been using for years, but I've been in FL long enough for my blood to start thinning. I ordered a 3mm Thermoprene vest, but it's too small, so much for Henderson's size chart or consistency between lines. Now I need something ASAP, because I have a trip next week. I was thinking of getting a Thermoprene 5mm, and as it turns out that happens to be the only suit I can find locally in my size...and at a great price. But I read a review that said it wasn't that warm. I used to have a 7mm Hyperstretch and honestly think the 3mm Gold Core is just as warm. So, will I have the same issue with the 5mm Thermoprene and it not being any warmer than my 3mm Gold Core?

The question is where are you diving and what is the water temp.

I see that your comment is about Henderson suits, and I'm a henderson snob having owne 3 different suits at one time; so:

For winter dives in cool air temps with water below 70 degrees look at the thremoprene 8 mil with the integrated hood. Its a really warm suit, but it is extremely floaty. I have one and love it when I'm diving doubles wet in the winter time. Even out of the water on a cold day its still really warm. While the guys i dive with are instantly jumping around after a dive to get out of their suits because they are freezing. I take my time getting out as Steam rolls off my body. It really is that warm.

If we are talking about 70+ water temps then i would recommend the Aqua Lock 5 mil with the hood and boots. I help teach in the springs and my 5 mil will keep me warm all day while i watch the students teeth chatter and finger tips turn blue.

Lately i havent been able to do much wet diving and have opted to go dry as i am pulling dive times of 79 to 110 minutes in the springs doing some technical training which required secondary floatation.

Hope this help with you choice of suits.

T.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

So am I. This will be the 4th Henderson I've owned. Should be in the mid 70s, which is what it was here a few weeks ago, when for the first time my 3mm wasn't warm enough, and I bailed on the second dive. It was a little windy that day, though, which didn't help in between dives. The crazy thing is back in the summer, when it was in the mid 80s I was diving in just a bathing suit and rash guard. Unfortunately since the vest didn't fit I don't really have a choice due to time constraints and local availability. It's either going to be the Thermoprene 5mm...or whatever cheap vest I can find locally to get me through this trip until I order a new suit.

I got both my suit through "http://www.leisurepro.com/c-982/wetsuits?Filter=brand%3dHenderson%3aflid_982_2%3d227"

If the size is wrong they will replace with the right size. Most retail stores dont carry henderson as the margin is not as good as other brands.

T.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I found one of the few who does, and at a great price! I returned the vest to LP and got a 5mm Thermoprene full suit and an Evo 2mm front zip vest, both for less than the price of just the suit at LP. :D

Grouchy I see you like it do much thay you have your 3mm up for sale. Just curious, you dont envision ever using it again?

I had my 3mm Henderson thermoprene replaced with a 5mm. For some reason even though they were the same size, the 5mm was slighty bigger at the torso and slightly longer in the leg section.

Grouchy I see you like it do much thay you have your 3mm up for sale. Just curious, you dont envision ever using it again?
I don't see the point in having 2 suits that are so close in thickness, and you're better off being too warm than 2 cold. When I was up north all I had was the 3mm and my drysuit. As soon as it was too cold for the 3 I was diving dry. Down here in the summer I dive in just a bathing suit and a rash guard. If it's too cold for that I'd rather just wear the 5mm and be extra warm. Plus having the vest now gives me even more flexibility.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom