is there water in nort La.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dog paddle

Registered
Reaction score
I am wondering if anybody knows any dive locations in or near north Louisiana. I know most of the water is the color of gumbo but I hope there is some thing i could get wet in. i am a new diver so a little nervous about 0 vis.

Not much really, just a few lakes. There's a good sized lake near Ruston called Lake D'Arbonne. Its a beautiful place but I never heard of anyone diving there.

WW

Best place is up to Arkansas in the lakes in the warmer months. I used to live on D'Arbonne and on a couple of occasions the water did get pretty clear - maybe 5' vis.
Thats still pretty poor. Also try Mermet Springs in the very far southern tip of ILL - interesting place. And of course N.Florida.

Dog Paddle,

I just made a post about Lake Bistineaux, if the spelling is correct. It is (was) in northwest LA. I dove there quite a few years ago and I'm trying to get some current info on the lake, etc.

Regards,

its south east of bossier city about 20 miles from shreveport. they are planning a draw down to kill veg and do work on the dam so dont know what the quality willbe like

dog paddle:
I am wondering if anybody knows any dive locations in or near north Louisiana. I know most of the water is the color of gumbo but I hope there is some thing i could get wet in. i am a new diver so a little nervous about 0 vis.

Lake Ouachita - Just west of Hot Springs, Arkansas is a good dive destination that is one of the favorites for north Louisiana divers. About a three hour drive north of D'Arbonne.
Last year I enjoyed 25'+ vis on the first of June and after a couple huge downpours saw that decrease to 6' when spear-fishing season started on the 15th.
Summer vis averages around 15' but usually drops to about 10 when the water really heats up in August. Improves a bit in Fall, but I am too much of a wimp to know what it is like in the winter.
Lots of places to stay around here and a bunch of good Corps of Enginneers campgrounds on the lake as well as a state park campground.
There are a few nice shore-accessable dive sites by the dam and in a couple other locations. Diving at the Corps campgrounds may be discouraged, especially if they are a lot of campers present, I don't know about the state park.

Lake Degray is a really good dive lake. I go there just about every weekend and I live in North LA. The viz is good, fishing is great and the facilities are very nice. If I can help you with any information please let me know ... you can go to a search engine and type in lake degray... i think it is www.lakedegray.com
thanks. clay

I am from West Monroe, grew up there but have lived many places since. I actually grew up on a spring fed lake with sand bottom that was often very clear but it is private and so built up now it is not diveable. Some people dive Toledo Bend. I suggest Lake Ouachita near Hot Springs. It is a beautiful lake in National Forest with often very decent viz. Been diving there many times. I also humbly suggest, between hurricanes, that you try the panhandle of Florida, the offshore rigs out of Lake Charles, the Flower Gardens of Texas and Stetson bank out of Houston.
I made spare money in college at NLU diving the rivers and bayous to recover lost items, not all that lucrative really. I suggest you not dive in the Ouachita River except at low water. Even then there can be currents, deep holes, no viz--at all---and other hazards. Same for the Mighty Mississippi, whirl pools, currents, hazards. Growing up on the rivers I have seen huge whirlpools that can suck boats down, leaking gas from pipelines is also to be avoided and stay away from the spillway at Farmerville on D'arbone during any high water. An olde couple retiring to the area who had boated the Great Lakes for years met their deaths at the spillway when their engine failed them and the boat was sucked into the downfall, there is a long history of drownings there. Due to numerous dive instructors there going back well into the 60s there are many resident divers so you should be able to find friends. N

Back
Top Bottom