Is there anywhere left in Asia with abundant fish and pristine coral?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ellencarroll

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I recently was extremely disappointed with the state of the ocean in Fiji. There were a dearth of fish and the conditions of the reefs were heartbreaking. The Astrolabe reefs were in good condition, but there were no fish out there, only a few small mantas. If I am going to invest the time and money to go that far from home, then I want to know if there are any places left in the Pacific or Indian Oceans with healthy populations of fish with pristine, healthy coral reef colonies. I've heard that Palau and Rajah Ampat are still healthy, but I'd like to hear from you who have been to places recently! I don't particularly care about macro life; however pelagics are always nice if you can get them!

have a look at that http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/indonesia/288992-yet-another-indonesia-trip-report-part-2-raja-ampat.html
and
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/indonesia/283653-komodo-trip-report.html

I haven't been to Fidji, but have a look at the indo-pacific region (Indonesia, malaysia, thailand). If you really like macro stuff, ever thought of LEMBEH? Corals are there, but usually black sand with thousands of tiny, weird (beautiful) things. Bunaken is good for corals and wall dive.

Maledives: rather for big staff (Manta, whaleshark, Hammers beside usual black and white tips) than for beautiful corals.

Oh just seen: Are you familiar with current dives? From a lovely, TV show to hold mask and regulator otherwise it's gone.:D

I had the same experience in Cozumel and it sucks when its like that.
Id love to go back to Mexico, but it wont be Cozumel.
As far as Asia I dont know about the reefs and sealife, but if you want nice reefs and plenty of fish I can definetly recommend the red sea...
Just dont go there and F the place up like some of the russian cattleboats seem to aim to do, cause I want it to be as nice the next time I go there as its been before!

Agreed, I always hear Raja Ampat is the most untouched, pristine diving around. Haven't made it there yet, but it's on my short list. Red Sea as well. Also lot's of great diving left here, in Thailand's Andaman Sea.

Last edited:
As far as Asia I dont know about the reefs and sealife, but if you want nice reefs and plenty of fish I can definetly recommend the red sea...

The fish numbers are much more impressive in Asia - much bigger schools of fish.

Palau is great for your pelagic action - lots of grey reef, white-tip and black-tip reef sharks. Also mantas, devil rays, eagle rays, sailfish, big tuna. The corals are healthy too - beautiful walls.

I'd also like to check out Raja Ampat and also the PNG end of Papua. French Polynesia's on the list too, but expensive.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom