Is there anything connecting spending a lot of time in salt water with our toenails?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

madfishdiving

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I have been diving extensively for several years and my toenails aren’t really enjoying their consistent daily salt water immersion. I’ve noticed a lot of other instructors that are diving as often as seem to have similar issues with limited remains of what’s left of a few toenails struggling to grow back.
So is there a connection with the salt water and my toenails? ... and is there something I can put on them after diving to let the toenails recover and grow properly?

I don't have any advice, but know what you're talking about. My past trip we probably dove 3x a day - I've been back about a week now, and both my baby toenails peeled right off, sort of the same way a nail that has been smashed in a door or something would, except no bruising and no pain.

I've never had this problem, though the skin on the tips of my toes tend to peel at times.
Not being a medical doctor or student, you probably need to supplement your diet intake to help improve your nails. Other than that, keep them well trimmed if you can, and pad your feet dry when you're changing into dry clothes. Microfibre absorption towels (like shamwow) help to get you really dry.
Talk with a nutritionist about your specific vitamin and mineral intake.

Nail (anatomy) - Nutrition for healthy nails | Wikipedia

I've had problems with a fungus that grows on my toenails and I attribute it to a steady diet of diving

We have seen very good results for fungus control/removal by mixing Corn Meal (Preferably Horticultural but not so important) with warm water and soaking the feet in the mixture for 30-60 minutes. A few treatments like this have done wonders for feet.

It's called "getting old", Dudes.

both my baby toenails peeled right off, sort of the same way a nail that has been smashed in a door or something would, except no bruising and no pain.

Exactly what seems to be happening. No pain, just getting really week and unable to bind to the skin under the nail.

We have seen very good results for fungus control/removal by mixing Corn Meal (Preferably Horticultural but not so important) with warm water and soaking the feet in the mixture for 30-60 minutes. A few treatments like this have done wonders for feet.

Thanks! I'll definitely give it a shot and see how it goes.

It's called "getting old", Dudes.

I'm only 23, dude.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom