Is there any LED strobes that are bright enough as marker light?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DazedAndConfuzed

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

I am looking for some strobes to make my entry/exit point underwater for shore dives in Bonaire. I don't want something expensive since I don't know if the hoodlums will come underwater to steal the strobe after finding nothing in the truck, or it could be other divers, who knows.

I see lots of general recommendations for Princeton Tec Aqua Strobe. I don't know if that is just a flashing krypton bulb or a strobe like a camera strobe that discharge bursts of stored energy.

Anyway, maybe the bulb strobes are old tech, so wondering if LEDs strobes are there yet that I can use instead. I got one of those Eco Flare flashing red LED strobe for tank marker and it is bright enough just to be seen by someone 10 ft away.

Anyone used the Xenec SL15?

Results Scuba Connection

As cheap as the Aqua strobe, but don't know how bright it is compared to it. It gives brightness in candela. Aqua strobe has no brightness spec. I see alot of marine stores selling it for life jacket, etc, so I presume it is not light duty stuff.

I am assuming that it is the same as what I've used, at least the case looks the same. It is plenty bright. Bright enough to be annoying as a buddy light.

I have the Princeton Tec little strobe. It has a strobe like the old cameras used to have and is plenty bright and cheap. It would be perfect for you.

Adam

Are they good for quarter or half mile underwater? That is what I presume how far I will travel before heading back.

The Xenec looks more heavy duty, but the Princeton Tec, I could return it 20 yrs later if it broke.

I can think of no light that will travel 400m, even in the clearest seas. For that sort of distance you need to use an acoustic beacon.

They are talking about visible distances
in air

Pay the hoodlums to look after your truck
and hold the strobe

They are talking about visible distances
in air

Pay the hoodlums to look after your truck
and hold the strobe

Are they good for quarter or half mile underwater? That is what I presume how far I will travel before heading back.

The Xenec looks more heavy duty, but the Princeton Tec, I could return it 20 yrs later if it broke.

There is no way any light can be seen that far under water. The range would be roughly the visibility of the water you're diving.
Adam

Back
Top Bottom