Is there a list of changes for various Cobalt 2 firmware versions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Is there a list somewhere of what's changed in each of the various firmware updates for the Cobalt 2?

Are there new features? Are there changes in operation? Are there safety or reliability enhancements?

@RonR is the best resource to answer your question.

Sorry for the delayed response, I was away from internet for a few days. Some time ago Atomic had version information on their website, but I don't believe it is there any longer, and it would not have covered more recent versions in any case.

To answer your question:
Many firmware changes are essentially housekeeping, as when a particular part needs to be replaced for a new build (electronic components are constantly changing, being modified by the manufacturer, or replaced by something new). We have had to change memory components, battery fuel gauges, sensor versions, and USB related components, just to name a few off the top of my head. New versions need to be compatible with all old components as well as any new parts. That's why we warn users not to install firmware versions older that that which came with their Cobalt.

Like any computing device, there have been some bug fixes. Most of these have involved rare situations brought up by users who saw something unexpected- we really appreciate feedback. Sometimes we have had only a single example of an issue to go on, and more information really helps.

Some firmware changes relate to the manufacturing or testing process- there are a lot of diagnostics that are normally hidden to the user, and some firmware relating to initial testing and calibration.

We have made many, many usability changes and feature updates as well, often at the request of users. An example from a recent update is allowing all audible alerts to be completely silenced. We also opened up most diagnostic functions to end users without changing the user name, as was previously required. A new update we expect to be released soon- message me if you want to try it- just adds a warning when the Cobalt's memory is full and new dives will start erasing the oldest dives. It tells you which dives will be removed from the Cobalt's memory so you can be sure they are backed up if desired. The Cobalt holds about 1200 hours of diving at the normal storage rate, so some of these have been used a lot.

The version records exist, but I need to go through them and sort out what changes are purely technical and would have no meaning to a user, versus those that potentially have an impact on what a user sees. Having that list up here would be an excellent idea, but it will take me a bit of time to edit out the excess and put it into an understandable format. I will put this on my list of things to do.

Thanks, Ron

The version records exist, but I need to go through them and sort out what changes are purely technical and would have no meaning to a user, versus those that potentially have an impact on what a user sees. Having that list up here would be an excellent idea, but it will take me a bit of time to edit out the excess and put it into an understandable format. I will put this on my list of things to do.

Thanks, Ron
Thanks. A change log would be quite helpful.

Obviously, it would be ideal to have one in a user centric format (i.e. entries like "added support for new battery supplier" or "added user access to battery diagnostic. To access the diagnostic screen ..."). However, even something in your internal format is better than nothing. At least that would alert me what types of user visible changes. I think most of us can figure out which changes are to support different components, which add new features, which change the user interface, and which change our allowed dive time.

I may be in the minority here, but after a firmware update, I don't go and try every menu item on the chance that something has changed. New features are far more useful when users know about them.

Hi Ron. Did you ever get a chance to run through the changes and create a change log? I agree, it would be useful. I've just upgraded mine to v2.5 and it would be useful to know what has changed.
Thanks 😊

Hi Ron. Did you ever get a chance to run through the changes and create a change log? I agree, it would be useful. I've just upgraded mine to v2.5 and it would be useful to know what has changed.
Thanks 😊
I have to confess that this has not made it to the top of my things to do list. Working on the new products is a priority, and it is time consuming to filter through all the changes to see what might be apparent to the user. I'll bump it up a bit. Sorry.

Ron

I have to confess that this has not made it to the top of my things to do list. Working on the new products is a priority, and it is time consuming to filter through all the changes to see what might be apparent to the user. I'll bump it up a bit. Sorry.

Ron
Thanks Ron

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom