Is there a dive light that doesn't die immediately?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

that's unfortunate, I own 5 UK lights and have 100's of hours of dive time on them, no problems ever. I tend to like UK products and think tha the Light Cannon is one of the best lights on the market for the price. Just a data point, but I have a positive opinion of UK products.

Take care,
John

sytech:
If you read the damn thing I think you'll agree that their "warranty" is "limited" to say the least. Note that they want "preliminary phone call made to UK for a brief Q&A session and the procurement of an RMA (Return Merchandise Authorization) number" among other considerations. They make the burden so annoying that many people probably won't even bother. This is bordering on Consumer Fraud if you ask me.

A reputable company would say something like "send us your defective light and as long as there is no evidence of abuse or mishandling we will replace the product". Period. That's what upstanding companies do.

I will pursue the matter but that will be my last UK purchase.

Thanks,

Sy

I have found UK to be one of the most accommodating as far as warranty is concerned. I have never seen any company who will just take your word for it. They usually require you get an RMA. You may find it frustrating but I think your claim of consumer fraud is a huge exaggeration. Try calling them before you make these claims. You may be pleasantly surprised.

have owned a Dacor model 700 dive light for 20 years .... out of production now but you can still find one on ebay ever now and then. It's a large sealed beam light using a large 6 volt battery you can still buy at Wal Mart ..........

I've had two Allen lights for thirty-odd years.

sytech:
I've purchased a Pelican Super Pelilite, a UK sun light SL4 and recently got a Princeton Tec Impact XL.

The first two accumulated a total dive time of no more than about 45 minutes combined before they both "died". Seems water got into them. My Princeton Tec has about 30 minutes dive time on it and is still alive but who knows.

These are small lights costing under $35 each and I don't expect real long longevity but this is ridiculous!
Your experience is quite different than most other divers. Either you are very unlucky, or there is something unique about your envirionment, your maintenance of the lights, or your handling of the lights.

How did you maintain the o-rings? Could you determine the location of the leak on the two dead lights?

When using twist on lights like the UK Q40 or the Pelican Pelilite I find it useful to use a white paint marker to put an index mark on the rotating head. This helps me to control the rotation of the head/switch so that it stays off underwater, yet is not unscrewed so far as to flood the light.

We've had a variety of UK & Princeton Tech lights and over the years and no problems flooding. Probably need to look at how they are maintained. The only ones I have trouble with are small twist on marker lights.

got a 100 6 inch light sticks off ebay last summer for a penny ............. I was lite up like a Christmas tree on my last night dive..... Not too bright my wife said ... wasn't sure if see was talking about the lights or me ?

sytech:
<SNIP>If you read the damn thing I think you'll agree that their "warranty" is "limited" to say the least. Note that they want "preliminary phone call made to UK for a brief Q&A session and the procurement of an RMA (Return Merchandise Authorization) number" among other considerations. They make the burden so annoying that many people probably won't even bother. This is bordering on Consumer Fraud if you ask me. A reputable company would say something like "send us your defective light and as long as there is no evidence of abuse or mishandling we will replace the product". Period. That's what upstanding companies do. I will pursue the matter but that will be my last UK purchase. Thanks, Sy

We have hundreds of UK lighst over the last 5 years. I did not have any trouble with them until about 6 months ago. I ordered a fairly large order and when I got them in and opened up the first kit I noticed they had removed all the foam from the inside of the box and replaced it with cardboard holders. Lights looked terrible in the box and I gave them an F for presentation. Then I picked up the C8 and immediately felt a difference in the light casing, I thought they felt cheap. Then I opened up the single cased C8 lights and C4's and every light I turned on to try out blew a bulb. I was so mad I could not even see straight. I called UK and had then send me 16 bulbs. Then the kicker I bought 2 of the Light Cannons. I kept one on display in a cabinet for 1 month to show the customers. One day I turned it on and the it just never came back on. We changed out the batteries, still no light. We called for an RA we had to send it back. I called repeatedly to get the status on the light and was told they were backed up, it was the holidays, it was inventory time, etc. TWO MONTHS LATER.!!!!,,, i called again and they told me they were sending it back out to me. When I received it they said that the bulb casing was very old and used and that they replaced it buit there would be no warranty on it. WTH???? It was a light I had bought from them and it had never been in the water! Then we called and sent that one back, ( I paid for the shipping...AGAIN), and demanded they send me a new one in a box. Meanwhile I had another light cannon go out within one use a customer had bought and had to send back that one also. Needless to say I am ordering Princeton Tec now. I have had a little trouble with them also but not nearly as bad as UK recently. I saw that Warranty notice also and became cross eyed reading it. It's ridiculous and wonder why they have to put so many clauses in their warranties....Hmmm I think I know the answer.

My take on the cheapening of the packaging and casings is from increased costs in the manufacturing and distribution while still making the lights affordable. SO the question begs to be asked would you be willing to spend $125 on a light that used to cost you $75, if you had longer life out of it. I also think they have a more severe warranty because of false claims where people say that the light had a problem but really the user flooded it.

These are my opinions and your user mileage my vary.

Yep, I sorly want a HID light, but that ain't gonna happen anytime soon I'm afraid

I have the UK C8 and I have a UK Q40 in BC pocket for backup. I've never had any leakage but I have made sure the O ring & pocket was lubed after I had a glow stick substitute light leak and found the O ring dry

UK C8 is Bright, Affordable, and It's a reasonable substitute until I can afford something that's not "rubbish" :wink:

Edit: Uh Oh .. wonder what's going on at UK :huh:

Dual o-ring seals for the win.

If you don't want to have to worry about floods anymore on a small light, look to the Photon Torpedo. Great backup light that good enough for a primary, for many.

I've had a UK light for nearly 20 years that still works like a champ. I also have two Light Cannons with nearly 100 dives on each that have been incredible.

Everyone's luck can vary. I do know that there are many, many dive ops in the Caribbean that have standardized on UK lights for their loaners. I can guarantee you they would not choose lights that fail regularly.

I've also had a couple of Princeton Tec lights that have flooded on a regular basis, and yet been replaced cheerfully each time.

So no, they're not perfect, but the bigger players (and some of the smaller ones) definitely recognize this fact and stand behind their products. Give them a shot, and try some different models until you find one that's a little more reliable than the ones you've tried to date.

Back
Top Bottom