Is there a dive light that doesn't die immediately?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sytech

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've purchased a Pelican Super Pelilite, a UK sun light SL4 and recently got a Princeton Tec Impact XL.

The first two accumulated a total dive time of no more than about 45 minutes combined before they both "died". Seems water got into them. My Princeton Tec has about 30 minutes dive time on it and is still alive but who knows.

These are small lights costing under $35 each and I don't expect real long longevity but this is ridiculous!

Are there any brands that have reputations for being more durable and water resistant than others?

Any advice will be appreciated

Also, the "warranty" from Underwater Kinetics is as follows:

UK Lights Warranty
UK INTERNATIONAL LIMITED WARRANTIES - Terms and Conditions
• Limited Lifetime Warranty
UK warrants to the original purchaser only the UK product purchased to be free from defects in materials and workmanship under normal use for the lifetime of the original purchaser, except components and parts which are subject to the following express Limited Warranties.

• Limited Ten Year Warranty
UK warrants to the original purchaser any component or housing of the product purchased to be free from defects in materials and workmanship under normal use for a period of ten years from date of purchase.

• Limited Three Year Warranty
UK warrants to the original purchaser only the fabrics and rubber components and parts of the product purchased to be free from defects in materials and workmanship under normal use for a period of three years from date of purchase.

• Limited Ninety Day Warranty
UK warrants to the original purchaser only the rechargeable battery components and parts of the product purchased to be free from defects in materials and workmanship under normal use for a period of ninety days from date of purchase.

• Limited Thirty Day Warranty
UK warrants to the original purchaser only the lamp components and parts of the product purchased to be free from defects in materials and workmanship under normal use for a period of thirty days from date of purchase.

These Limited warranties do not apply: (i) to normal wear experienced in the proper use of the product, component or part; (ii) to asserted defects caused by modification, misuse or abuse, or improper maintenance of the product, component or part; (iii) to asserted defects involving subjective personal likes or judgments as to performance of the product, component or part; or (iv) to circumstances involving accidental damage to the product, component or part.

Obligations and Limitations
The obligation under these Limited Warranties is restricted to repair or replacement of the product, component or part which has been confirmed by UK to be defective under the Terms and Conditions stated.

In no event shall UK be liable for incidental or consequential damages of any nature or kind including damages to camera components, or for damages to persons or property. THESE LIMITED WARRANTIES ARE IN LIEU OF ALL OTHER WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING ANY IMPLIED WARRANTY OF MERCHANTABILITY, AND ALL SUCH OTHER WARRANTIES ARE DISCLAIMED EXCEPT TO THE EXTENT ANY IMPLIED WARRANTY MAY BE IMPOSED BY STATE CONSUMER LAW. Any implied warranty imposed by state consumer law is limited in duration to the period of the applicable express Limited Warranty or one year from date of purchase of the product, whichever is earlier.

Claim Procedure
Claim for warranty performance and service shall be made by sending the product, component or part, properly and safely packed, shipped prepaid to UK Service Department at the address shown below, together with:
A preliminary phone call made to UK for a brief Q&A session and the procurement of an RMA (Return Merchandise Authorization) number. Any product lacking an RMA number shipped to UK for warranty service will be shipped back to its point of origin at the owner's expense.
Confirmation of the original purchase and purchaser (such as a copy of a sales invoice or receipt, a credit card slip or statement, internet sales confirmation e-mail or the like);
A brief description of the nature of the asserted defect; and
The name and address of the original purchaser to whom the product, component or part is to be returned.
UK shall review the description of the asserted defect, examine the product, component or part, and make service repairs or replacements as appropriate under the applicable Limited Warranty. Upon completion of the service, the product, component or part shall be returned by UK, shipping prepaid. In the event it is determined that the asserted defect is not covered by or is excluded from the applicable Limited Warranty, UK will provide a quote for the repair costs. Upon quote approval and receipt of credit card payment, UK will perform all designated repairs and return the product via best way/method at the owner's expense. In the event that the repair quote is refused the product, component or part shall be returned by UK at the owner's expense.

UK International
13400 Danielson Street
Poway, CA 92064 USA

If you read the damn thing I think you'll agree that their "warranty" is "limited" to say the least. Note that they want "preliminary phone call made to UK for a brief Q&A session and the procurement of an RMA (Return Merchandise Authorization) number" among other considerations. They make the burden so annoying that many people probably won't even bother. This is bordering on Consumer Fraud if you ask me.

A reputable company would say something like "send us your defective light and as long as there is no evidence of abuse or mishandling we will replace the product". Period. That's what upstanding companies do.

I will pursue the matter but that will be my last UK purchase.

Thanks,

Sy

When I've had problems with UK lights I called them up talked for about 2 mins and a new light was on the way. No muss no fuss, now maybe things have changed, but I doubt that much (they didn't even make me send the busted one back).

I have the same problem with lights. I have spent hundreds and they never last...

I have a Halcyon Mini-Scout($80) that has about 110 hours bottom time, and I guestimate about 20 hours of burn time on that light. It's always with me. My UK C8 Led has about 7 hours for me and have loaned it out, no problems.
Still seem to be having user issues with my Dive-Rite HID though......must remember to charge before use...........

My Salvo HID is over a year old and about 200 dives, and going strong . . . Of course, it cost a bit more than that :)

Princeton Tech and Ikelite. Princeton Tech stands behind their warranty. I smashed mine getting back on the boat in rough conditions, sent it to them and they sent another one. I smashed it again a year later, and they replaced it again without any problems.

Get the kind with the on-off switch rather than tightening the end. You'll be less likely to flood it.

Well what do you expect buying cheap rubbish ?

Myself I use Green Force, my FII 50HID has over 500 dives on it now without ever having a problem. I am sure that having every connection triple ORing sealed has something to do the that...

Cheers
Chriso

Pelican has served me well. Flood it and they replace it.

Also they gave me some good tips on preventing floods like taking it apart right after you get it and re-lubing the o-ring and threads... and don't be stingey.

I've got a Nemo 8c and a Stealthlite... both have switches versus turning the top to get it to turn on... I've not had issue with the ones that have switches... and yes you also have to lube these when they are new too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom