Is there a convenient and risk-free way for an American to go to Cuba?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What I find funny is that I can and have traveled to Cuba legally-on Continental direct out of Miami (thanks to the fact that I'm a Cuban-American). But it's never going to be on our list of dive destinations. Inn fact, I don't know that I'll ever even go back to visit again as long as it is Communist. The level of paranoia and depression is way too high to make it a relaxing vacation for us. Fortunately (or unfortunately) the average tourist doesn't experience that because they are visiting a "different" Cuba and not living with the locales and getting the real deal.

A lot of Americans hold a sort of romantic view of Cuba and I think that might be why so many want to visit inspite of the threat of heavy fines. It is a very beautiful country with very friendly and American loving people. It is also considered to be the safest country in Latin America. Even though it isn't in Latin America :)

The water is extremely blue and warm....unlike the weather here in Alaska :-(

You can see a bunch of pictures from Cuba on my webpage http://theroadlesstraveled.us/

http://www.treas.gov/press/releases/rr3083.htm

FROM THE OFFICE OF PUBLIC AFFAIRS

April 15, 1999
RR-3083

TREASURY ANNOUNCES CIVIL PENALTIES FOR CUBA TRAVEL VIOLATIONS

The Treasury Department's Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) recently settled claims for embargo travel violations to Cuba by two Miami airline charter companies and a national magazine.

C&T Charters, Inc., paid a $125,000 penalty settlement to OFAC for allegations of acting as the operator of charter flights between Nassau, Bahamas and Havana, Cuba, without OFAC authorization, and for record keeping deficiencies found during compliance audits by OFAC. Wilson International Services, Inc., paid $61,000 to settle alleged record keeping deficiencies found during OFAC audits. In September, 1998 following an investigation, OFAC suspended the licenses of both companies to provide travel-related services to Cuba.

Harper's Bazaar paid $31,000 in settlement of allegations that it engaged in unlicensed payments for travel expenses in 1998 for a photo shoot in Cuba.
"These penalty settlements serve to emphasize our strong commitment to fully enforce travel restrictions to Cuba, even as we work to implement new humanitarian measures under the embargo in support of the Cuban people,@ said OFAC Director Richard Newcomb.

All travel-related transactions involving Cuba by persons subject to U.S. jurisdiction remain highly regulated and travel for tourism and unlicensed business purposes remains strictly prohibited. OFAC investigates several hundred reports of unlicensed travel to Cuba each year, with many of these cases resulting in a civil penalty proceeding.

Economic sanctions were imposed against Cuba in 1963 to exert financial pressure against Fidel Castro's regime. Most economic transactions are prohibited, unless otherwise authorized by OFAC. Criminal penalties for violation of these sanctions range up to 10 years in prison, $1 million in corporate fines and $250,000 in individual fines. Civil penalties of up to $55,000 per violation may also be imposed. Since October 1992, the effective date of OFAC's civil penalty authority, Treasury has collected more than $2 million in civil monetary penalties for Cuba embargo violations.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mr Deep:
I'd go with the makeshift raft!

But being Canadian, don't have to. :) and actually going in a couple of weeks! End of Feb. hopefully before the "old guy" expires and the prices go through the roof!

Anyone know where the best diving is???

Best area is the Bay of Pigs area. Varadero is great but winter winds blow off most dive days. Red flags are out when the surf is up inthe winter months so you cannot wven go into the water. Bay of Pigs is a great wall dive with many sights. I have been there X2 inthe past couple of years. You would have to settle for less than wonderful accomodations and food, however the diving makes up for it. You must be aware that all dives are with a DM and they do limit dive times (in most cases). I had the advantage with going to Cuba with an ex-pat Cuban. We get a few "extras".

Does anyone know if (as an American) you can take a private boat to Cuba, stay off shore, and just never go into port? I assume you might have to let Cuban custom officals come aboard if you are in Cuban waters.

I believe the national 'border' on every country extends to 12 miles offshore.

Yeah, but my question really centers on the fact that US travel restrictions are based on Americans not being allowed to spend money in Cuba. If you don't dock the boat in Cuba and don't go a shore are you violoating the US law just by going into Cuban waters?

Azza:
I wouldn't say he thinks he is special, just someone who feels it's his god-given right to visit any country, on this planet of ours, that he damn well wants to.

Hmmm... so much for American "freedom," eh? Freedom to do what you want, as long as it is in America's economic best interest.

- ChillyWaters

scubapolly:
Yeah, but my question really centers on the fact that US travel restrictions are based on Americans not being allowed to spend money in Cuba. If you don't dock the boat in Cuba and don't go a shore are you violoating the US law just by going into Cuban waters?

Not the OFAC regs, no. But you assume that the Cubans are going to allow you to just hang out in their waters :)

scubamickey:
Not the OFAC regs, no. But you assume that the Cubans are going to allow you to just hang out in their waters :)

Well I assume you'd have to allow cuban custom agents to board the vessel, which I assume would entail paying some sort of tax which I am sure is a violation... so I guess we are back to not being able to do it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom