Is there a "best"?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

del_mo

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
If you could choose ONE place in the greater Caribbean to go diving, where would it be? (we can't decide where to go first!)

del_mo:
If you could choose ONE place in the greater Caribbean to go diving, where would it be? (we can't decide where to go first!)

Hi There,

These kinds of "best" questions are best answered with more information from the seeker...some criteria:

1) Reefs vs. wrecks

2) Big fish vs. small vs. macro

3) Corals/reefs vs. fish life

4) Diving vs. topside activities/beauty

5) what kind of topside environment is preferable?

6) water temp a consideration?

7) current acceptable?

8) popular destination vs. less visited

etc.

Good luck in your quest!

Regards,

del_mo:
Cayman before Hurricane Ivan, Bonaire now, Cozumel if you like diving with dozens of your closest friends...

No question. Bonaire wins. The combination of boat diving, shore diving at a multitude of dive sites, loads of underwater critters, excellent food, and warm, clear water is something that can't be beat.

However, I've never been to Cayman, but your question was to "pick" a place.

Hmmmm....I've also read a little about Roatan and Belize....how would they stack up? I'm a newbie, so it's all new to me.

For what its worth. . .and this question has come up many times before. . .I would rate Little Cayman, Providenciales and Cozumel as the best three in the Greater Caribbean. My personal preferences run to lots of different critters and big walls. The only major Caribbean dive locations that I haven't been to are Saba and Bonaire.

My top three would be Little Cayman, San Salvador, Bahamas, Grand Cayman, North Wall.

Hello All

We had finally decided on Grand Turk for our next dive trip....until we went to book the airfare tonight. Yikes.. $850 - $915 and higher with up to 3 layovers! Haven't given up yet....but need to look at some other options. Does anyone know of any tour companies that have package deals for Grand Turk (air and hotel)

I've been to Grand Cayman. Is the diving at Little Cayman much different? Better?
How do the two islands themselves compare? I've been reading this board for info on hurricane damage and it seems that there was very little damage to the reefs on Little Cayman. Is that correct? What would you recommend for a dive resort and dive operator? Preferably want a small Dive Operator that doesn't take more than 8 divers. The dive trip is for the end of April 2005

Thanks so much!!
Pam

pm3009:
We had finally decided on Grand Turk for our next dive trip....until we went to book the airfare tonight. Yikes.. $850 - $915 and higher with up to 3 layovers! Haven't given up yet....but need to look at some other options. Does anyone know of any tour companies that have package deals for Grand Turk (air and hotel)
I'm sure either Aquadreams or Caradonna could help, although neither mentions air on their TCI page.
http://www.aquadreams.com/t&c_pkgs.htm
http://www.caradonna.com/caradonna/displaydestination.aspx?id=56

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom