Is ther Xen Altitude aware?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BigBubbaJ

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I find it hard to imagine but I am starting to believe that it is NOT properly compensating for altitude.

I was deco captain on some dives and was reading 20 ft when team felt we were at 26 feet. Pretty consistently off from the rest of the team, diving at 4500' in fresh water.Said I was about 4ft of water, but pretty sure it was more like 12-14 ft.

Is this a software/processing bug or some problem with my unit? It's brand new.

On the status screen, pressure reads 850 but I don't know what that means.

Justin

I would guess the 850 is millibar. I watched the millibars go down when Rita came over on my VR3's.

I would guess the 850 is millibar. I watched the millibars go down when Rita came over on my VR3's.

That is correct for this altitude. But how is the actual FFw not displaying correctly underwater?

It's measuring just the pressure absolute. The extra actual depth is making up for the lesser atmosphere.

Last edited:
I have heard back - this device is not compensating for depth.

Hi Justin,

thank you for contacting us with the problem you encountered.

Currently the XEN does not have an automatically altitude compensation.
However this is a feature that we will include in one of our future releases of the XEN firmware.

If you want to come back later and check which additions the most recent release of the firmware has please check our version history at:
Xen Firmware History

I am sorry if that causes any inconvenience for the time being.

Kind regards,
Eva Lange

Liquivision Products Inc.
Liquivision

The automatic altitude compensation firmware should be available as early as mid June.

To be fair, the Xen manual never claims to have automatic altitude compensation. If you have been trained in altitude diving, you will understand that you may need to compensate for the gauge readings. When using any instrument at altitude, you should read the user manually thoroughly to understand how the instrument behaves at altitude.

Again the firmware update should be available shortly.

Eric Fattah
Liquivision Products

I thought i'd update this thread and say that LV had indeed released a FW update. I'll be testing it out this weekend and will post back if there are any further issues.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom