Is the swimming fins suitable for scuba diving ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wisnu

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
My daughter, 12 years old Jr. OW would like to join the Jr. AOW class here. So far she's very happy with her yellow rubber fins she has been using since she was 5 years old for swimming practices - at least she use this fins min. 1000 m (of 3000 - 4000 m) a day, 5 days a week. She's a national level competitive swimmer.
She also used the same fins for scuba diving in Bali and Manado without any problem.
Now, the AOW instructor asked her to use open heel split fins; claim the swimming fins are not suitable for scuba diving, can be dangerous particularly with the water here where strong current may exist. Actually my daughter has tried using rented scuba fins and not happy at all - not convenience, too heavy, slow ect are her excuses.
When we refer to Bali / Manado diving - the instructor said the Bali / Manado water is like swimming pooll and still insist her to use the scuba fins. And she still has an objection to use the scuba fins; now with new reason : the scuba fins stroke is different with swim fins so will affect her performance on swimming. She believe with swim fins she can handle the current if I (with scuba fins) can handle. In fact, we tried in the swimming pool and she easily beat me without hard effort.

Thanks for any advises

..snip..
Now, the AOW instructor asked her to use open heel split fins;
..snip..

There are separate issues here.
Open heel - this is a well discussed subject. Normally the choice for open heel is associated with the need to use boots either for thermal protection or physical foot protection at the beginning or end of the dive. Like shore entries/exits over rocks or coral. If just warm water boat diving or diving off sandy beaches it comes down to personal choice.
Split fins - a highly contentious subject and I would really doubt the competence of any instructor that specifically required splits. I could accept that he would suggest trying them but not requiring them.
Swim fins - normally do not have the thrust necessary to push around a fully equipped diver with the extra water resistance of the BC, tank, mask etc. Diving fins are generally larger.

Now what I find even stranger is that your daughter's feet haven't grown any since she was 5. And that fins small enough to be driven by a 5 year old are of any use for diving use by an older child. Or do you just mean that she is using the same model of fin but has moved up through the sizes?

Thanks
You're right - not the same fins but same model - yellow rubber fins. Sizes has moved up 3 x and typically one fins can only survive for 1 - 2 year only before worn-out.
Indeed, this fins is much smaller than my diving fins - but as I mentioned, she beat me easily with her fins. I remember in Bali I had to warn her as she moved in the water (with full scuba gear) like a fish - yes, almost no current.

Wisnu. As trained a swimmer as your daughter is, she'll be fine doing AOW with her present fins, open heel fins, split fins, yellow fins, blue fins and possibly without fins. Many divers are in bad shape and can barely snorkel and swim. Hence, your daughter will be better of than most of them whatever fins she uses.

Most divers recommend open heel fins for reasons miketsp mentioned above. I am a PADI Dive Master. All I ever used were yellow fins like your daughter's. I was fine because I am a good swimmer. I am sure I could benefit from open heel but I am not as good as your daughter.

I'd invest in bigger fins when her foot stops growing.

There is something wrong with this instructor.
Personally I would look for another one.

Insisting on split fins sounds very prejudiced to say the least. And I am not saying that they aren't better. It's just that when a potentially dangerous activity is involved I would stay away from people who suppress their common sense for the benefit of a prejudice. And diving is supposed to be fun.

At the very least I'd let this instructor compete against your daughter and maybe give his opinion a thought if he wins. But he won't. Something tells me that this person will get upset if you suggest such a race.

At the very least I'd let this instructor compete against your daughter and maybe give his opinion a thought if he wins. But he won't. Something tells me that this person will get upset if you suggest such a race.

Thanks Sheke
This is what my daughter told me, but sure I will not ask them for two reasons: 1. they're the only Padi LDS in the country. 2. I don't want my daugher become arrogant.

My suggestion to race wasn't really that serious.:) Obviously whoever would win, it wouldn't really say anything about the fins or competence anyway. Your daughters physical strength would not make he an expert on diving.

But if she is such an excellent swimmer, she feels fine with her fins and finds the other fins too heavy, it would be counterproductive to make her change.

they're the only Padi LDS in the country.

I am sorry to hear that. It might be just the explanation to their attitude.

I'm sure your daughter has swam an ocean in her pool fins. She likes them because she's used to them.

Here is what I wear in the pool (top fins, white) and in the ocean (Bottom, black fins):

poolfins.jpg

As a scuba diver, the potential loads and thrust demands can be very different. If she continues as a scuba diver, someday she will need the extra thrust and performance of a large, made for scuba fin. Like having to suddenly push through current to get to the down line, or pulling a buddy in distress.

Because heavy currents are usually not found in a pool, I wear the lightweight fins. They are small and convenient.

Can she take the class with her pool fins? Absolutely. Can she scuba dive with her pool fins? Absolutely. Can she get into a situation that the pool fins will fail her? Absolutely.

I'd certify her in what she's comfortable, then, if she really continues, get some real scuba fins.

As for the split fin issue, it sounds like that's the fin the shop makes the most money from. My personal feeling is that splits aren't much better than my pool fins, but, that's just one person's opinion.

All the best, James

Take a look at theTusa Imprex Tri-Ex fin, it has the smaller sizing:
Provides more speed and power than traditional fins by combining three materials to create a fin blade with the optimum amount of flex and stiffness
Creates less strain on the leg muscles reducing the diver´s fatigue
and subsequent air consumption
Deep foot pocket comfortably secures the foot for maximum power transfer
Non Vented hydrodynamic design
Quick release, quick-adjust buckle makes adjusting a snap
COLORS: Blue with Black accents, Yellow with Black accents, Silver with Black accents, Red with Black accents, Pink with White accents or Black
SIZES: 4 through 13
Buy TUSA Imprex Tri Ex Fins SF-6 and other scuba diving gear at scuba.com

Hi Wisnu,

Since your daughter is a competitive swimmer, she will probably do just fine in the course with her swim fins. A lot of it is comfort in the water, which for her should certainly not be a problem.

However, do think about the fact that, unlike at swim practice, she will have to be able to propel close to 60 pounds / 27 kg of gear and may have to contend with currents. This is the reason that dive fins are typically larger and stiffer than swimming fins. Additionally, at the advanced level, she will be doing deeper and more complicated dives (e.g. potentially with higher currents, etc.). A larger, stronger fin might well be advantageous under these conditions. As James said, even as a strong swimmer, there are situations in which she might get herself in trouble with smaller fins. Just something to think about...

Despite the fact that there is only 1 LDS around, you should still try to understand from the instructor why he/she insists on specific fins. The explanation of different fin strokes does not make a lot of sense to me at the AOW level, since typically the frog kick isn't typically introduced at this level (frog kicking is very difficult/impossible with fins that are not rigid). And the instructor is obviously not referring to the frog kick anyway, since he/she is insisting on split fins which are most definitely not suited to frog kicking...
Split fins are some of the easiest (least load/work) to swim with, but as mentioned, they are contentious and may or may not be the right choice for your daughter.
Additionally, unless there is a reason such as beach diving with rough entries (rocks, sea life, etc.) that would require booties - and hence open-heeled fins - the insistence seems very odd, and I would have to agree with James again: it sounds like the shop is angling to get their hands on more of your hard-earned money...

At the end of the day, you want the dive equipment to meet your (or in this case your daughter's) needs. And, you want to be comfortable with the equipment. Make sure that you fully understand equipment choices - and the inherent advantages and disadvantages - before you buy.

I swim with full-foot rubber fins when I go snorkelling in the North Sea every weekend. Those were standard footwear both in the pool and in open water when I learned to dive in the 1960s and I've never seen any reason to change, so I sympathise with your daughter. I've never understood the modern tendency to categorise fins as single-purpose devices, so full-foot = tropical sandy beaches and open-heel = cold-water diving. Maybe there's a plan among equipment manufacturers to sell more fins by suggesting that each type of diving requires a different fin! The first rule of fin choice is that they should fit properly in terms of length and width. Fins are very personal items of gear and it's best to experiment a bit until chancing upon what works. We don't all wear the same shoes, so there's plenty of room for personal preferences with fins too. There are cultural differences as well. In Japan divers are still happy to scuba-dive with Gull Mew rubber full-foot fins, which can come with stiff blades to aid propulsion when wearing full equipment.

By the way, what model of yellow rubber fins does your daughter prefer? I'm a big fan of that type of fin, because they were in vogue when I started snorkelling and I've never felt like changing to any other design because they work perfectly well when used in the kind of gentle snorkelling I do!

Back
Top Bottom