Is the Photon torpedo or Salvo rat worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pullmyfinger

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

I am looking to get a backup light. I currently have an Oxycheq Raider I, Rev.2. I really like this light, the 3 Watt LED lights seem like the way to go for backup lights.

I am now looking at buying a Photon torpedo or Salvo rat. I would like a different brand of backup light as a second backup.

My question is this: Considering the price difference between the Oxycheq vs the Photon or Salvo, is it really worth the cost to get a Photon?

I realize that the photon is machined in the USA from delrin stock, as opposed to being machined in China from aluminum.

Both lights are similar in light output. I know the Photon has a reputation for being a bombproof light, but is it worth 3 times the price of an Oxycheq?

I know that there are some here that may own both lights, so any opinion would be appreciated. Is it more a matter of the Photon being around $150, and now there are Chinese manufactured lights being made for $50.......and th ePhoton is now comparatively overpriced? Or is the Photon really worth it?

Thanks for any advice.

Take care,
Mitch

I own a pair of Photon Torpedo's and a pair of Rat Jr's. I think they're worth the price, because they're incredibly reliable.

Depends, I suppose, on how much reliability means to you. I also owned a Raider IV for a time. It's comparably priced to the PT, and proved to be unreliable. Sure, it was bright when it worked ... but in a backup light, reliability is the top priority because if it doesn't work when you need it, you are well and truly screwed.

PT's, to my concern, are one of the best backup lights out there. If you're diving in overheads ... where a good backup light may be the difference between getting out or not ... I would say they're well worth the price.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

FYI, Salvo is out of business, so warranty and service would be an issue.

I like my Rat, execept for the wide spread of the beam.

I am with Bob, I will pay for reliability. I have had zero problems with my PTs and can't say I am embarrassed of their performance either. I have the LED version and this far there has been only couple of back up lights that have outshone them.

I like the delrin body. Somehow to me it feels more comfortable that aluminum. I recently got some Dorcy lights because they have gotten some good rap, and certainly are cheaper and seem to perform at least to the level of PTs. Another one you should look into if you haven't, Dorcy goes for <$45. They are alum but I needed something smaller for my new rig. The only negative with the Photons really is the size.

It's just a matter of time before lights with the new LEDs come down in price. The bigger makers like Princeton Tech and UK will adapt them and the small ones will either stop selling them or look for something else.

Adam

That is pretty much already the case. If you try the average small company 2 or 3 C cell or 8 AA cell LED along side one from Princton Tec, you'll find the Pricneton tec blows them away and does it for 1/3rd to 1/2 the money. No big surprise as the small companies get their electronics from the big companies but they are usually a generation behind given how fast LED technology is advancing.

So in effect, you are paying a lot of money for a stronger body at the expense of light performance.

I use Princeton Tec Torrents (about $60 each) as my back ups now and other than not being in love with the switch, They have performed great. In the past a back up turning it self on was an issue as it may have had a burntime of only an hour and a half, but when the burn time is 20 hours, even if I am the trailing team member and no one notices it is on, I am still ging to have more than enough burn time if I actually need one of the backups.

Thanks for all of the replies,

It does seem like that is the main point about the photon torpedo, it's reliability. I'm guessing that it's performance is very similar or only slightly behind some of the new/cheaper lights.

That's the main question for me....is it worth the $150 for the best light in terms of reliability?

In this instance, I think I'll go for it. A Photon Torpedo to compliment my $50 Oxycheq Raider I, R2. $200 total for two backup lights isn't too bad for this combination of lights.

It has it's reputation for a reason, I suppose. I'm not one to argue with it's success.

Thanks for all the feedback, I just wanted to get some opinions before I "tripled down" and ordered one. Hell, I never remember what the good stuff I own cost me, as time goes by. ;-)

I saw the Salvo rat available for $135, but the fact that they are out of business steers me in the direction of the Photon. I would rather have the tighter beam of the Photon vs the Rat (Thanks Rick)

Take care.

Mitch

I have a mix of PTs and PT-LEDs -- they are absolutely fantastic and practically bulletproof.

You might be able to find some used. Post a "want to buy" ad and see if anyone is willing to sell them. I grabbed two PTs (original xenon, not LED) for $35 each a few months back from someone who was getting out of diving. They had ~300 dives on them and looked (and functioned) brand new.

That's a great idea. Will do.
-Mitch

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom