Is the Atomic T2 Reg as good as they say?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Solo1mick

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi,
I am new to the board so first of all let me say hello to everybody.
I was recommended this site be a friend and I must say it looks packed full of useful info.
I am thinking about buying an Atomic T2 titanium regulator. My friend just posted the thread regarding titanium and EAN mixes.

But what I need to know is it as good as they say.

I asked one guy and he told me that if you dive with this regulator you will never go back to anything else.

I currently dive with a Mares Abyss Mk05 but in Scubalab test results for 2005 the T2 scored 93 out of a possible 95 and Abyss scored 79. It states this is the difference between a very good regulator and an unbelievable regulator.

I would appreciate any first hand experience anybody has with reg and there thoughts on any pro’s and cons they might have.

I own an Atomic Aquatics T1, which is almost identical to the T2 (the T2 has an environmentally sealed 1st stage, which is optional for the T1). It is the greatest regulator I have ever used. It is ingeniously engineered and beautifully crafted. Even if you were to purchase a B2 or Z2, I have no doubt that an Atomic Aquatics regulator will impress you.

I suggest you borrow or rent a Z2 and try it out. If you like it and desire one made of titanium (T1, T1x, or T2), expect to pay over $1000 for one. If you are cost conscious, keep an eye out on eBay or search bulletin boards (like this one) for a deal on a used one. In fact, I found my own T1 on eBay.

Cheers,

Sadamune

Solo1mick:
Hi,
I am new to the board so first of all let me say hello to everybody.
I was recommended this site be a friend and I must say it looks packed full of useful info.
I am thinking about buying an Atomic T2 titanium regulator. My friend just posted the thread regarding titanium and EAN mixes.

But what I need to know is it as good as they say.

I asked one guy and he told me that if you dive with this regulator you will never go back to anything else.

I currently dive with a Mares Abyss Mk05 but in Scubalab test results for 2005 the T2 scored 93 out of a possible 95 and Abyss scored 79. It states this is the difference between a very good regulator and an unbelievable regulator.

I would appreciate any first hand experience anybody has with reg and there thoughts on any pro’s and cons they might have.

I own two Atomic Aquatics B2 regulators (one fr me, one for my wife) and I am very happy with them.

I had briefly considered the T2 and decided against it for the following reasons:

1. Atomic says that you need to decide at time of purchase to dedicate the regulator to either air or Nitrox. This meant two regulators if I wish to dive with Nitrox. Other than the material the first stage is made of the first stages of the B2 and T2 are mechanically identical.

2. The difference in weight between the B2 and the T2 was only 8 ounces. The second stage on both the B2 and T2 is identical and made of Titanium.

3. The B2 can be used for both Air and Nitrox (up to EAN 40).

Given the negatives of number one, only saving 8 ounces in weight and the second stages being equal it made no sense to pay almost double the price of the B2 to get the T2.

Thanks Ronbeau,

I looked at B2, looks a great reg. I will be diving nearly excusively on EAN and for me weigth matters, due to a lot of travel. I will be keeping my Abyss for air. I have a chance of the T2 at a great price for EU, so it's a hard choice...?

We have been diving with the Abyss for a couple of years. All I will tell you is you will be hard pressed to find a better regulator.
You may find regs that cost more, fancier, more marketing, etc. but they will not perform better. Especially in deep water. Little known fact or not advertised is that a diaphram regulater (Mares Abyss) performs better as you go deeper due to external pressures. A piston regulator is consistant at any depth. Usually providing more air than you will ever actually need unless you are a "working diver".
PS
we dive nitrox almost daily with the Abyss

Atomic says that you need to decide at time of purchase to dedicate the regulator to either air or Nitrox. This meant two regulators if I wish to dive with Nitrox. Other than the material the first stage is made of the first stages of the B2 and T2 are mechanically identical.

That is indeed true, but I suspect that the idea of dedicating a T1/T2 to either air or EANx is influenced in part by concerns of legal liability. In actuality, a T1/T2 can be used for both air and EANx, provided that the regulator is O2 cleaned before switching to EANx. As repeated O2 cleaning would be expensive and time consuming for a titanium regulator serving double duty on air and EANx, dedicating a T1/T2 to just one gas is actually a pretty good idea. In fact, it is a really good idea to have any regulator O2 cleaned, not just titanium regs, before using it with EANx. Remember, an O2 fire can occur in any regulator, so having a regulator dedicated to EANx use is a smart idea, regardless of what the reg is made of. The issue with titanium is that an O2 fire has the potential to spread to the titanium regulator parts, which would make for a particularly nasty fire.

So, Atomic's advice is really well intended, even if it also pleases the lawyers.

Cheers,

Sadamune

That's a good point Richesb, I have had the Abyss since September last year and have had 40 dives EAN on it. I am happy with it, but I am upgrading my wifes equipment. She just qualified in September and I give her my old scubapro regs (R380) which were old. She has since qualifing completely got the bug. I was going to give her the Abyss which is basically brand new and buy myself a new reg. I liked the Atomics weight and swivel design. The replies about the B2 being basically the same 1st stage just differnet material may steer my towards the B2 rather than the T2..?
Hard choice...

Atomic regs are as good as they say....Z2, T2 or anywhere in between you will not feel any noticable difference at 35 meter depth or at 3 meter depth. I have B2 but wish that I had gone with the Z2 without the swivel at the second stage.

shellbackdiver1:
Atomic regs are as good as they say....Z2, T2 or anywhere in between you will not feel any noticable difference at 35 meter depth or at 3 meter depth. I have B2 but wish that I had gone with the Z2 without the swivel at the second stage.

I have to agree. I do not use any regulator EXCEPT the Atomic regulators. All of my regulators I use for diving (which is basically 99.5% cave diving) are all Atomic M1 regulators. I use the M1 for a could reasons, a main one being they are very resistant to free flow due to the solid front on the second stage.

As far as breathing -- I have used my M1's on a number of deep cave dives breathing Trimix at 300+ ffw depths. The regulators breathe as easy at 300 foot depths for me as they do at 15 ffw.

I have used many brands of regulators, many of which perform well, but have been most pleased with the Atomic Aquatics line for performance and more importantly - lack of failure under critical use.

Safe Diving!

shellbackdiver1:

Can you explain what you don't like about the swivel..? I would have thought that it was one of the pluses....???

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom