Is T&C really expensive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MCTdivers

New
Reaction score
I am planning a trip in June to T&C and thru this Forum have decided to use CA to dive with (overwhelming choice) Thanks for all the info on that. I have noticed several comments on the "High Prices". Traveling with a group of 8 (only 3 divers). Everyone is pretty content with enjoying the beach but they do like to try different restaurants and eat well. Any specifics on the cost of food? I have heard about $80.00 lunches for 2 and dinners over $200.00, but when I look at the hotel restaurants menus they seem fairly normal.

Any other suggestions about the island would be appreciated as well.

Thanks

New to ScubaBoard so I apologize if I am in the wrong Forum.

I think it depends in part to the kind of prices you are use to. Prices are, in my opinion, similar to a major city. Places like Grace's Cottage with a good bottle of wine can be expensive, but there are a number of restaurants on the Lower Bite Road where there are more normal prices. The Sharkbite at Turtle Cove often has lunch specials, and if you have a car, the local conch shack (Bugaloos) is by comparison cheap. There is always the IGA food store on Leeward Hwy. for snacks and stuff. John

The Tiki hut was good and reasonable when we ate there. Some of the resort restaurants are a little pricey, but there are a few options. We also did some shopping at the IGA and made some meals at the room as we had a kitchen.

Hi MTCDivers,
Here's my two cent review of the places we ate when we visited Provo last July:
Restaurants:
I kind of divide the places to eat into 2 categories – the resort areas have more elegant ambience, but you pay for the privilege. Then there are the local eateries, with more authentic Caribbean cuisine and much lower prices. In the first category:
Aqua – ***/$$$ - expensive, but we were able to save money by asking for the lunch menu – even at 6:00. Very good, nice Turtle Cove marina view.
Hemingways - **/$$$ - decent food, great Grace Bay views
Caicos Café - ***/$$$ - best food preparation of the expensive restaurants – outstanding Caicos shrimp (grilled), grilled snapper, veggies with each that had a delicious spicy sauce – but the tab was $140 for 3 of us (only ordered 1 beer with dinner too).
Tiki Hut - **/$$ - we went for the Wed Chicken and Rib special – good food, nice Turtle Cove view.
Shark Bite – **/$$ - Had a great lunch there – try the grouper sandwich done jerk style – yum! Lunch prices were reasonable.

In the hole-in-the-wall category:
Hole In The Wall - ***/$ - Outstanding jerk chicken and curried conch, accompanied by tasty beans and rice. Entries $10 or less.
Smokies - ***/$ - Local hangout in Blue Hills area – great fresh seafood – again, entries less than half the price of Grace Bay, but very well prepared.
Bugaloos - ***/$ - All conch, all the time – literally brought from the ocean to your plate - very nice!

A couple of other notes:
When eating anywhere that is not directly on the beach, bring bug spray - especially in the evening.
We rented a villa, and ate all breakfast and some lunches there, saving $$ for dinner.
You'll love CA! Great boat, very attentive service, great dive sites.
Have fun!
Rich

Thanks for the info. We really like getting out of the tourist area and finding the more local establishments. I really appreciate the suggestions

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom