Is Puerto Villarta diving any good?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm going on a trip to Puerto Villarta at the end of April. I haven't read too much about the diving there. Is it any good? Are there any dive outfitts that are recommended or ones I should definetly stay away from?

The diving in PV is not great as far as vis and water temps go, but there is plenty to see. Lots of rays, eels and fish. I dove with both Chico's and Vallarta Adventures. Chicos is just a dive op. and is located on the Malecon. Vallarta Adventures takes you out on a cruise (from the marina) to a private beach for lunch and drinks. Others on the boat snorkle and so on.... I would dive with both again. Vallarta Adventures is better if you have non-divers, Chico's visits more sites.

I've done lots of dives with Vallarta Adventures. Yes, its a cattle boat, but its a fun cattle boat. And, its a comfortable cattle boat. I've been very impressed with the dive masters. If you go with them, tell them the guy who found the gold ring in December says "hi."

I would second the choice fro Pacific Scuba. Small fast boat, great crew, personalized service. I try to stay away from cattle boats. If I wanted a cruise I would call a cruise line not a dive op. IMHO.

Great info and perfect timing for me as well. I'm heading down there in August for my brothers wedding and was just beginning the research on diving. Thanks everyone.

Hey guys thanks for the info. I checked out websites for the charters you mentioned. Looks like a pretty good chance to see some large animals. Thanks

My certification instruction and first dives were with Chico's. I just want to add one comment to what others have said.

I was there in March, and the water was chilly. For thermal protection, they issued all of the students and the renters 3 mm shorties--the only thing they apparently carried. We were all very cold, and some people wore two of them to try to keep warm.

Meanwhile, one instructor wore a 7mm semidry and hood, and the other wore a farmer john and hood.

I pointed out that there was quite a difference between what the employees and the guests were wearing, and they said it was just because they were in the water so much more often than we were.

You may want to bring your own thermal protection or make sure that they are offering more than that in cold weather.

ocean quest dive center. very small groups largest when I was there was 5 people 1 instructor and one dm. website is vallartadivers.com I had a great time with klaus the instructor.

do a search on vallarta on the board. there are many posts.

I would point out though that if you're going at the end of april, chances are the vis won't be the greatest and the water will be colder. you may still catch it while it's decent but i would say it'll not be ideal.

i did my first dive there in october and the water was 84 degrees, 100 ft vis and we were surrounded with mantas, turtles & loads of fish. we came back through in mid may and thought "we got to go again". wrong. the vis was about 15-20ft and the water was in the low to mid 60's... there were still mantas, but we could only see them when we were in the boat due to the poor vis... then there were the jellies at the safety stop at the end... ugh.

we were diving the outer sites (el morro, chimo, marietas) which are my favorite, but i would advise checking on conditions before you go. i will say though that at the right time of the year (late summer through dec/jan), vallarta rocks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom