Is overweighting of OW students a violation of standards?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How is it a standards violation? (padi I assume) -NO hook in that question I genuinely want to know. Is it the floating part or the not changing tanks part?
Page 24 of the IM, Open Water Dives.
Requirements
7. Conduct skills outlined in the course instructor guide and include:
d. Exit
e. Debriefing and equipment disassembly

Students must come out of the water at the end of each dive, and disassemble their gear at the end of each dive. Conversely, they must assemble their gear before each dive.

Some of our instructors still use the fin pivot as a means of getting the students close enough to "perfectly" neutral so they can ascend a bit into the hover.
You are supposed to teach students the effect of inhaling and exhaling on buoyancy, There is no specification on how it is to be done. You can use the fin pivot if you want, but you should remember the point of the exercise and not obsess over its form. When I was first instructing, we absolutely required that the fin tips alone could touch the floor, the knees had to be straight, and the student could not touch the floor at all on the way down and up. Some students struggled with that, and getting that last student to the point of fin pivot perfection could take a maddeningly long time. There was no point to that obsession with form.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom