Is Otitus media with effusion or glue ear a contraindication to diving if you can equalise?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I have had fluid trapped in my ears for 4 months after a mild barotrauma. It's taking much long than expected to completely drain. It can apparently take 3 months or more in some people. At this point I have a mild feeling of fullness mostly in one ear. I have been flying during this time and had no trouble all. It has made me think if I can equalise fine while flying is having some residual fluid in my ear actually a risk? I was planning on doing a test dive in a pool first. In theory if I can equalise as normal surely the fluid isn't relevant.

Flying doesn’t require near as much pressure change as diving does. I’ll defer to DDM in this instance, but if a patient asked me I would still say no diving until the effusion is resolved or an ENT says you’re okay to dive.

Flying doesn’t require near as much pressure change as diving does. I’ll defer to DDM in this instance, but if a patient asked me I would still say no diving until the effusion is resolved or an ENT says you’re okay to dive.
The absolute pressure isn't relevant is it? Isn't it the differential pressure that does the damage. Cruising altitude cabin pressure vs sea level is more than enough to cause barotrauma if you can't equalise the pressures during ascent and vice versa. The differential presure on my ear at 150 m under water or 10 m above sea level should be the same. I'm wondering if there is another factor I'm missing with the fluid in my ear

The absolute pressure isn't relevant is it? Isn't it the differential pressure that does the damage. Cruising altitude cabin pressure vs sea level is more than enough to cause barotrauma if you can't equalise the pressures during ascent and vice versa. The differential presure on my ear at 150 m under water or 10 m above sea level should be the same. I'm wondering if there is another factor I'm missing with the fluid in my ear
The rate of pressure change in diving is much greater than when ascending and descending in a commercial airliner. You may be able to tolerate a relatively slow descent from 8000 feet to sea level in an airplane, but that's a pressure equivalent of 8-9 feet of sea water. It would be much easier to get behind in equalizing while descending in the water, especially if there's still inflammation present in your middle ear, which seems likely given your description. This would effectively close down your Eustachian tubes and make it even more difficult to equalize, which would put you at risk of re-traumatizing your middle ears.

Best regards,
DDM

. The differential presure on my ear at 150 m under water or 10 m above sea level should be the same.
?? You surely did not mean to say this. What DID you mean to say?

?? You surely did not mean to say this. What DID you mean to say?
I think he meant IF he can equalize.

If you say you have fluid trapped in your ears where exactly is it?
Please see the thread title for your answer. Otitis Media = middle ear infection

After an otitis media fluid can appear in different parts around your middle ear, for example also in your mastoid. I would weigh it differently if it appeared there, especially if there are no problems with equalization.

Edit: i am not familiar with the term "glue ear". What exactly is the definition of that?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom