Is OC1 Dual algorithm feature actually practical?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BjFaeTorphins

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm continuing my wonderings throught the menus and features of my new toy and happened to notice on page 84 of the OC1 manual the statement "You can select DSAT or PZ+ as the NDL Basis. The selection will lock in for 24 hours after the last dive."

I dive in the Red Sea. Usually for 2 or 3 weeks and dive every day (if possible), usually 2 dives per day but sometimes 3 if there is a night dive on.

Most dives are under 30m (using nitrox) but I do often do a 40+ meter morning dive that results of a small amount of deco obligation that always is gone before I get to the deco stop.

After a couple of days i'm never completely free of RNT before starting the next day's dives for the remainder of my trip.

Seems to me that if the logic in the OC1 is that the algorithm is locked in for 24 hours then i'm never going to be able to switch alogorithm.

Also, why 24 hours? I could understand if the rule was that RNT=0 then switching is allowed but the OC1 must be able to take into account RNT when switching as
there is no guarantee that RNT is 0 after 24 hours (as is my experience).

Have I understood this correctly?

My initial idea was that I would use DSAT for days on which we do 2 or 3 regular <30m 60minute dives. Then switch to PZ+ for days where we do a deep dive in the morning. Seems like that's not how it works?

The other consideration is that practically EVERYONE in the Red Sea uses Suunto. The Stinger is used by 95% of Guides and Instructors (the other 5% have D6 or D9). My understanding is that Suunto's alogrithm is closer to the PZ+ and so if It's best that my computer matches my buddy/guide then i'm not sure I'll be able to use DSAT anyway.

I'd be very pleased to hear about how other OC1 owners use this feature.

The way it was explained to me is that because the algorithms are different they are not able to switch back and forth, meaning the computer can not take the calculations based on one algorithm and put them into the other. the Z+ runs very similar to the suunto algorithm but the suunto is still a little more conservative than the Z+, it really depends on what you are looking for, if i buy an oc1 and go on a liveaboard trip i would most likely run the Z+, it just depends on how aggressive or how conservative you want to run your dives.

Back
Top Bottom