Is my equip. nitrox compatible?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

95devils

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Question for the all knowing powers that be. I am going to get certified in nitrox. My LDS just completed the necessaries for them to teach it.

I have a oceanic delta 3 regulator with dx4 first stage.
The bcd's are seaquest qd+ with the air 2 power inflator.

Is this nitrox compatible? Looking in the oceanic owners manual they state that the first stage has to be serviced with this and that to be compatible with up to 40% enriched air. I can read this two different ways. Is this equipment compatible with EANx up to 40 % from the factory out of the box? Mine have never been serviced as they are only 6 months old and only have 50 dives on them.

thanks
jerry

all regs are OK for nitrox up to 40 without doing anything .never pay anything extra for a dedicated nitroxreg unless you want to get into advanced nitrox [deco stops and what not ] and then a lot of the regs that say nitrox say no more than 40 .IMO if you need an oxygen reg get one otherwise just stick with a standard reg.
Joens

just make sure it is current with it's yearly service and have fun!!!

joens once bubbled...
all regs are OK for nitrox up to 40 without doing anything .never pay anything extra for a dedicated nitroxreg unless you want to get into advanced nitrox [deco stops and what not ] and then a lot of the regs that say nitrox say no more than 40 .IMO if you need an oxygen reg get one otherwise just stick with a standard reg.
Joens

You need to follow the mfgs advice before using any reg for nitrox.

Maybe if Rainreg is around he will give you some expert advice.

There are a lot of variables to take into consideration, and to give a blanket "OK" to any reg "is good to 40%" is just plain dangerous!

ID

Iguana Don once bubbled...

You need to follow the mfgs advice before using any reg for nitrox.

Maybe if Rainreg is around he will give you some expert advice.

There are a lot of variables to take into consideration, and to give a blanket "OK" to any reg "is good to 40%" is just plain dangerous!

ID

IG..... you read the fine print for the "clause"..... Don't ya? :)

W/the exception on some of you $99 regs, even the cheaper regs w/rubber non-Viton parts are safe to 40%... That's not to say you won't have to service them more often.

Devils, if you read the references above you are properly snowed. Don't worry about NITROX 'compatibility'. Your equipment will handle it just fine. However, don't attempt to use your reg or press gauge with pure oxygen. The O rings and seats will probably wear out sooner and there is a slight danger of fire if your reg is lubricated with silicone. Do further research if you feel it is warranted. Personally, I find this stuff interesting. I've met dozens of people like rainreg in my long career in govt and elsewhere. He's obviously a man who loves the technical minutia of his work. However, my impression is that the govt sometimes spends millions to embellish what has already been known for decades. Often, this kind of work is highly specialized, is directed at some narrow area of investigation to 'prove' something and justify writing a paper giving the 'findings'. The more of these papers in ones folio the better evaluations received by that person. In turn, these results are picked up by 'safety' people who justify their jobs by imposing and monitoring standards of incredible strictness (and cost). I love talking to the R&D folks, especially when it deals with some obscure fact that they've teased out and interpreted. It's a matter of intellectual curiosity. However, for you, right now, a similar discussion would probably yield nothing of practical use. Doesn't hurt to ask though, anytime.

Pesky

Your credentials are so we can understand just what type of expert we are dealing with. One that can make a blatent statement such as you did.

This would be most helpful.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom