Is my dive computer starting to die?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

parrothead600

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a Suunto Gekko dive computer. Last night I was downloading the 2 dives from last weekend, and an extra dive showed up.:shocked2: It was dated for 8/7/14 , it showed a very sawtooth profile with depths reading from 10'- negative 37'. (How is it possible to dive to -37'?:confused:)
The time & date settings are correct on my display. This "dive" does not show up in the logbook mode, just on my laptop. The 2 dives that I made last weekend showed up & look to be accurate.
Anyone else have any issues like this?

Maybe a silly question but is the battery ok?

It's not silly at all. The battery was replaced 1 year ago, when the "battery meter" on my display showed a low battery. That was 25 dives ago. The display is not showing a low battery, but it can't hurt to test it w/ a volt meter.

It's not silly at all. The battery was replaced 1 year ago, when the "battery meter" on my display showed a low battery. That was 25 dives ago. The display is not showing a low battery, but it can't hurt to test it w/ a volt meter.

I once had an issue with my Gekko giving some strange readings after I had changed the battery, I again replaced the battery and never had an issue again. I assumed it was a faulty battery, certainly worth a shot. I know some people have reported depth sensor issues on their Suuntos but not sure if that sounds like what you're experiencing. If its not the battery outlook is grim. I'm interested in the outcome so if it can post again that would be appreciated, cheers, good luck.

I just had my computer show my last dive as 655meters for 99 hours on date 99-99-99 and cannot access logbook, luckily it's less than a year old, by two weeks whew, and the maker asked for its return to fix or replace.

I had a very similar experience with my oceanic VT3. In my case it's seem to have registered my flight home. This was represented as a 5 foot dive. Oceanics policy is that they do not troubleshoot issues. If the computer is under warranty it is automatically replaced and if it is not under warranty they will give you a refurbished one for $150.

Take-home message is that this is too valuable a piece of equipment not to have absolute confidence in it's working and registering a flight As a dive was a signal to me that it needed replacing.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

I'd try taking the battery out for a minute then re-install it giving it a hard reboot. Or just put a new battery in after a minute.

OK, there's a perfectly logical explanation for this :blinking: and after several hours of thought, I have come up with a theory. It may sound a little far-fetched but here ya go:
After my last dive on Saturday, I was abducted by Aliens & taken into the future (which explains the date of 8/7/14). They took me into outer space (which explains the negative 37' reading on the profile). Obviously the dive computer will not display this info in the logbook mode because it hasn't happened yet. I'm just not sure why Suunto Dive Manager was able to retrieve this info. I'm also not sure why I had my dive computer when I was abducted.
Anyone else have a better explanation?
:wink: Anyway, I'll be diving after work today & see if the dive computer functions like it should.

Might just be a bad contact while downloading. This could explain the garbage. I've seen this occasionally (I have 2 Vypers). Tell the SDM to ignore it then clean the contacts and re-run the transfer.

Take-home message is that this is too valuable a piece of equipment not to have absolute confidence in it's working and registering a flight As a dive was a signal to me that it needed replacing.

I won't disagree that a computer is a valuable tool, but I'd suggest not putting so much dependence on it. Always have a plan B and use the computer between your ears.

I won't disagree that a computer is a valuable tool, but I'd suggest not putting so much dependence on it. Always have a plan B and use the computer between your ears.

That is somewhat patronizing advice. Any reasonable diver should have a good grasp off diving physiology and physics and should understand whether a dive makes sense from a tables point of view. The reality is that I am very much using the computer between my ears which is the very reason I would rather err on the side of paying for a new one rather than assuming it is a battery issue. It is also the reason I dive two computers.

Having said that while it is easy for you to climb onto your soapbox and preach the purist approach, in reality good divers the world over who are diving multiple multilevel dives per day Are putting good stock into having a functioning dive computer. So let's give advice that actually makes sense in the real world.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom