Is "learning the hard lesson" necessary?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IMHO, there are two factors which, when combined, inevitably trigger panic:

1) Belief that you might die. (Threat) Regardless of the reality, if the individual perceives a risk of imminent death they will suffer an extreme degree of stress. That stress may be manageable, depending on their psychological tolerances, but is often dependent upon...

2) A sense of helplessness. (Resolution) Again, regardless of the reality, if the individual perceives no immediate resolution to their dilema they have no barrier against the instinct to resort to an irrational fight or flight response.
I think we need to recognize that there is a biological element involved with panic, and that is CO2 retention. Many people do not realize that the panicky feeling that they get when they stop breathing for a while is caused by CO2 buildup and not from a need for O2. Divers who build up CO2 in their systems are prone to irrational panic. My nephew's mother-in-law suddenly panicked on a dive, discarded her regulator, and bolted to the surface. It turned out her heart attack had interrupted the blood flow, which caused a CO2 buildup, which caused the panic and the sense that the regulator was not delivering air.

I was once helping a student descend into the deep area of the swimming pool for the first time. He had done fine on the shallow water skills, but he was having a lot of trouble equalizing. I was right next to him, signalling suggestions to help with the equalizing, when he suddenly yanked out his regulator and had a full blown panic attack. When we talked about it, he had almost no memory of what had happened. He did not realize he had pulled out his regulator. He admitted (should have told me sooner) that he was prone to panic attacks coming out of nowhere. I asked about it, and he said they normally came when he was concentrating hard on something, which is what he was doing on the descent in the pool. Clued to a solution by the discarding of the regulator, I asked him to think about moments like that--did he tend to hold his breath while concentrating? Yes, he did. We worked on good breathing technique (diaphragmatic breathing especially), and he had no trouble with the rest of the class. He was even feeling buoyant about the possibility that he had cured his panic episodes.

In diving, some new divers use poor breathing technique. They tend to breathe in short, shallow breaths, off the tops of their lungs. I had one student who in the very first pool session was beginning to panic every time we tried to do skills. She also complained that her regulator (a very high quality piece she had purchased for the class) was not working properly. I checked it and found that it worked beautifully--breathing was effortless. Then I watched her breathe under water. I told her that O2 intake was most effective when the air has time to reach the lungs before being exhaled. Just a little breathing technique work solved her problem--no more panic.

I now make proper breathing instruction a focus in the first part of my scuba instruction.

Human error is going to occur -- all we can do is minimize it. In the case of the story I told above, the problem was not having done a full team gear check before the dive, including breathing off the stage reg. I got real observant about that after this incident -- which was entirely minor and represented no threat to me at all, but startled me quite badly.

Her example was a diver diving in conditions he wasn't trained for

Just wanted to reiterate that this diver had transitioned from warm water to cold at least four or five months earlier, and had probably been diving in cold water two or three times a week throughout that entire period. So this wasn't like somebody jumping into a situation with which he had no familiarity at all. It was just that it never occurred to him, or to anyone diving with him, that he ought to practice mask skills in cold water, to make sure he could do them.

So I was wondering what other people thought. Is learning to face down panic an important lesson, or can some people just manage to always have a level head about it from the start?

1. i witnessed even at pool in water waist deep, students were kneeling practicing mask clearing. when water got inhaled, panic. end of training. no more scuba for that person

2. on one time, near end of training, open 3. surface diver tow. with some waves (a foot high) student was uneasy. so student was being towed yet student was so restless.

on the boat we asked what happened, why panic ?
answer : the sun was in my face - dermatologist said i can not be under sun due to cream ! :confused:

I have told my embarrassing story about descending on a shut-off regulator, and getting about five or six feet underwater when I "ran out of gas". My initial reaction just stunned me -- it was to have a huge adrenaline rush and start swimming for the surface as fast as I could. Within a half second or so, my rational mind said, "You idiot, you have your stage turned off," and I fixed the problem.

Guilty as well of this - jumping in with my valve off. AND another story to tell that follows

Story 1 - Kirbys Rock - Batangas

Type of dive : familiar dive location, negative entry, participants advanced and experienced divers only due to expected underwater current at that time.

dive conditions : with underwater current and with surface waves a foot high, a bit rough (well maybe not to others, but when waves hit a foot high, we call that rough relative to flat calm seas generally)

plan - once you enter the sea, negative descent

surface conditions - sunny morning, with cool surface winds(hence a foot height in waves) a great day to dive

on entry since its a negative entry head straight down, with equalization, BAM no air !

STOP

THINK
confused.gif
(what are the training procedures on this situation)

OH HOW STUPID OF ME :bonk:

lift tank a bit, reach for valve, open valve

Breathe in Breath out
proceed with dive :goingdown:

Story 2 - Puerto Galera - Hole in the wall

(still on my DM training period) dive in, at first stage of depth, able to reach depth at meeting point.
then all of a sudden no air. :shocked2:

kick in training procedure, locate buddy, think signal or not to signal. signal buddy no air

then think again, ah reach for valve and open - WHOOSHHHHH gush of air :classic:

Summary :

SCUBA DIVING is not for everyone -person has to be comfortable in water.

I haven't read all the posts here so I apologize if I'm repeating something someone has already stated.
In my opinion through my own observations both diving and reading posts & articles, one of the biggest problems regarding panicky divers (including myself) and the dive industry as a whole is that once a person has attained their OW they are let loose, and it is assumed that they immediately have enough knowledge and nous to react appropriately and calmly to emergency situations - not so!
Take a newly licensed car driver. In my country of origin (Australia) you have to drive around with a large P (probationary) on your car for a year to warn others that you are new on the road and therefor may make a mistake or use poor judgement etc... I don't think it's any different with divers. You learn a lot in your OW course and hopefully it will all come back to you in an emergency situation, but until that situation arises you just don't know. And I think it is a big mistake to assume that once qualified on paper with only a couple of dives under their belt, a person is sufficiently qualified to go it alone - usually with an equally inexperienced buddy. I've just done my 22nd dive and I still prefer to buddy with someone who is a lot more (as in years) experienced than I am. I know this will change the more I dive but I think it's a huge mistake that dive companies/instructors make when they say "your now qualified, off you go"!

... I think it's a huge mistake that dive companies/instructors make when they say "your now qualified, off you go"!

I am unaware of a single institution that has that mantra... that is more a feeling that some form (and it happens in all elements of life).

I am unaware of a single institution that has that mantra... that is more a feeling that some form (and it happens in all elements of life).

I've actually had that said to me and it's my observation that quite a few instructors have this attitude, even when I've emphasized that I'd not dived for quite a while and I'm a nervous person. (Whether it's due to high turnover of dive students or just apathy I don't know)

interesting.... around here, everything is a sales pitch to take more classes.....

Italics are dumpsterDiver

For starters, your buddy, you can not control a buddy, often you can not even pick them and yes they can most certainly kill you. there are an unlimited amount of behavoirs or actions your buddy can do to endanger you.

I don't dive with dangerous buddies.

How about being attacked by a shark. I have had to fight off a few with bare hands and have even had to shoot one with a gun. I know several people who have been bitten, and some were deliberately attacked.
I don't look like, act like, or smell like food. So far no problems.

How about eels.. I've been bitten several times.
I don't wiggle my finger in front of holes or feed or annoy them and they just go on doing their "eel stuff"

How about being stung and get an allergic reaction.
Wetsuit.

How about being run over by a boat. I know two people, one was killed, the other had both legs chopped off... I've been hit by a boat myself when the boat operator allowed it to drift into me (on several occasions).
"Watch out for boats?"

How about a large sea turtle trying to bite, and mount you.. buddy had that happen.
??? Call the local news ???

How about sea state changing and you having trouble exiting the water over rocks.
Dive where you have a reasonable exit even if the water gets rough

How about squall develop and atmospheric visibility goes to 75 feet and the boat looses the diver.. seen that one too.
The boat is still there and the diver is still there. What's the problem?

How about the boat losing the diver's float on a drift dive and you end up drfiting and almost getting run over by a boat.. seen that one too.
You seem to have issues with boats. I'd suggest choosing them more carefully and/or being more careful how you surface.

How about gear failure.. BC failure, hoses explode, o-rings extrude.. First stage fails and starts dumping air to the second stage. I've had all these things happen to me.
Irrelevant. Share air if necessary and surface with your buddy.

How about being entangled by essentially invisibile line in a strong current..
Line cutter.

Seriously, NOTHING will happen.. just follow the rules and you will be fine...

Pretty much.

flots.

Flots.... there's a hypothetical resolution to any problem posed hypothetically. A diver with experience knows the difference between a hypothetical risk and it's solution...and a real risk/solution. Worth bearing that in mind.

Any problem can be avoided or solved, if it exists only in your imagination.

The people who react worst, when faced by a real issue, are the ones who suffer extra shock because they never anticipated it... or confidently assumed "it would never happen to them".

How about squall develop and atmospheric visibility goes to 75 feet and the boat looses the diver.. seen that one too.
The boat is still there and the diver is still there. What's the problem?

In my scenario (which is posted a couple places), I simultaneously lost the upline, my light (primary died because the connector detached from the battery; dropped a backup) and my dive team while diving with an obligation at night in poor viz (roughly a foot where we were decoing) with heavy fog off shore.

Now, setting aside whether buddy checks would have helped with my other backup light (which was tangled), or whether the knowledge that there were whales nearby and therefore whale food nearby that could obliterate visibility and good judgement may have precluded diving, thing I was MOST worried about was the potential of losing the boat.

My team found me very quickly, but if they had not, I would have blown off the deco rather than lose the boat. It being there doesn't mean it is accessible, and the prospect of an inaccessible boat with current pulling you towards the shipping lanes for the biggest port on the western seaboard at night with negligible surface viz is *real ****ing stressful*

Back
Top Bottom