Is it worth the trouble and expense to carry emergency oxygen?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The channel at work also includes ads for silver, gold, electric scooters, and catheters.

In the 1940s it was thought to be a miracle drug with no contraindications. Modern medicine is somewhat more circumspect but I agree that there are a wide range of first aid situations where it can do no harm and may well make a difference.

One further step into a remote area and there is a school of thought that you should be able to start an IV and have the materials on hand as diarrhea kills more otherwise healthy people worldwide than most other things
Yes, I always carried normal saline on the boat. Almost always had a doctor who could prescribe.

One further step into a remote area and there is a school of thought that you should be able to start an IV and have the materials on hand as diarrhea kills more otherwise healthy people worldwide than most other things

I think as soon as you add the word ‘remote’, that necessarily and justifiably elevates the training, responsibility, resourcefulness and logistical implications and I don’t think there should be any toe-dipping or confusion about it. Expanded and regionally-tailored basic meds, IVs, general sutures, improvised patient transport, trauma stabilization and multi-day trauma care.....all are core competencies.

So, from my perspective it’s very basic and essential to carry on board O2 when diving.

O2 isn’t just for DCS to mobilize the nitrogen. It could also be useful as an extension to a first aid kit for things that are not DCS related that an older demographic of divers are more susceptible to. Angina, tingling of arm, droopy face, leg cramping, shortness of breath, persistent cough, all potential symptoms of a heart attack, stroke, transient ischemic attack, pulmonary embolism, intermittent claudication etc. all can be helped by oxygen until you can make it to more qualified aid. It’s along the lines of an automatic defibrillator or tourniquet/massive bleed kit, not just for the bends.
Just as a clarification. Oxygen in the setting of cardiac ischemia (angina, ACS, MI), supplemental oxygen may actually be harmful. The current recommendation is to only give O2 if the patient is hypoxic (low oxygen levels). For strokes most studies show no long term benefit nor harm.

Just as a clarification. Oxygen in the setting of cardiac ischemia (angina, ACS, MI), supplemental oxygen may actually be harmful. The current recommendation is to only give O2 if the patient is hypoxic (low oxygen levels). For strokes most studies show no long term benefit nor harm.

I wonder how the safety benefit of carrying an AED compares to the safety benefit of carrying O2.

I wonder how the safety benefit of carrying an AED compares to the safety benefit of carrying O2.
Hmmm. Interesting question and I want to make sure I approach the answer correctly. Are you asking which would likely provide a greater benefit to carry on a dive trip?

Hmmm. Interesting question and I want to make sure I approach the answer correctly. Are you asking which would likely provide a greater benefit to carry on a dive trip?
I carry both.

Stupid question: does oxygen not keep? Just trying to get my head around never needing it but having to jump through hoops to keep getting it.
sure it keeps - but the tank still needs a hydro every 5 years

I carry both.
I think as a profession dive operator carrying both is the correct choice. For the individual the benefit-cost ratio may not be worth the diminishing returns for the AED.

O2 seems to be more useful for more things more of the time, in a diving scenario.
The AED can save a life, occasionally.
sure it keeps - but the tank still needs a hydro every 5 years
Only if you need to refill it.

Back
Top Bottom