Is it worth bringing all my own dive gear to Australia?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did three weeks in Australia two years ago, including a Spirit of Freedom trip. I brought my own gear. I had two buddies along, and they rented everything except mask, fins, and snorkel. Both plans worked.

A lot depends upon what your gear is. If it is pretty much standard kit, then you might be more inclined to rent. If you (like me) prefer a BP/W, long hose regulator, etc., then it will be more worth it to bring your own. We also did a day trip (3-tank dive) out of Port Douglas, and I had to explain my kit to our DM. She had never seen anything like it before, and she was not sure it should be allowed. Throughout the day, other DMs stopped by my station to see my bizarre gear for themselves. None had ever seen or heard of it before.
John, that is because most of those DMs would have less experience than you get in one year! Straight out of dive course and then DM course I would bet.

Reactions: MA
John, that is because most of those DMs would have less experience than you get in one year! Straight out of dive course and then DM course I would bet.
I am sorry to say this, but you are probably right. That is very much the impression I got.

Hey folks,

Been giving some serious thought to a three week trip to Australia in late August next year. I would definitely want to dive one of those weeklong GBR/Coral Sea expeditions with Spirit of Freedom or Mike's Ball, but the other two weeks would consist of terrestrial adventures (considering Uluru, driving the Great Ocean Road, Sydney...).

So, my question: is it worth bringing all my own dive equipment? Obviously I love using my own kit, especially when it'd be a week of diving, but I'm also wary of having to drag this gear across the world (from New York City), and then having to bring it along as I visit other parts of Australia as well.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated! Especially comments upon the quality of Spirit's or Mike's rental gear.

You should do whatever you think you need to do, but you should easily be able to just bring your mask and computer and rent the rest, traveling light is a joy in itself and dive gear is dive gear, any competent diver should be able to adapt to any rental equipment he is thrown into. Diving is about being immersed in the marine environment the equipment just allows us to experience it.

Back
Top Bottom