is it time to clean out the dive locker ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubapro50

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I started cleaning up the back bedroom and notice that I have so much old scuba gear I could start a small dive shop. Seven regulators, nine BC's, 4 wetsuits, 4 pairs of fins, over a dozen masks and a lot of assorted junk pick up over the years like wrist depth guages, deco meters, 4 or 5 knives , ect,ect,ect ... is this normal ? ... does anyone else "pack-rat" this diving stuff like I have ?

scubapro50:
I started cleaning up the back bedroom and notice that I have so much old scuba gear I could start a small dive shop. Seven regulators, nine BC's, 4 wetsuits, 4 pairs of fins, over a dozen masks and a lot of assorted junk pick up over the years like wrist depth guages, deco meters, 4 or 5 knives , ect,ect,ect ... is this normal ? ... does anyone else "pack-rat" this diving stuff like I have ?

I think Pack Ratness is a life state, not just a dive state. My wife - well, she has a recessant pack rat gene (more of a pack mouse....) You see it in her car, in her office, definately in her closet.

I run the opposite. If its not nailed down, it goes on eBay. I have one mask (and a back up I carry), one BP, one Wing, one reg set, one drysuit, one pair of fins, one dive bag, one reg bag, one can light, one back up Photon Torpedo, and one big tub for the unfortunate beach dives. I do have two HP130's... I have determined that two tanks is necessary if we're on a private boat or, once again, for the unfortunate beach dive. Of course, I went almost 5 years with just one tank... I just got the other 130 in Feb this year.

Its not just diving. I have one drum kit, one pair of black dress shoes, one pair of cordovan, one pair of jeans, one truck, one wife, one house, etc, etc, etc...

I think even 10 years from now, I'll still have one of everything. Its just too profitable to keep stuff around while it depreciates... I'd rather sell it.

---
Ken

I am a rattus packus, come from a family history of sorts on this, not limited to dive gear - books are another particular theme for me too.

Ummm, I'm a pack rat in a rabbit suit. Luckily I don't have as much stuff as you :biggrin: Only 3 regs, 4 bc's and a few dive lights. I come by the pack rat thing honest though, my mother's family was all that way. Her sister's house burned down recently and stuff was packed in there so tight that even after several thousand gallons of water (40,000 I believe) were dumped on the fire (house was destroyed, fire fighters were unable to get inside when they arrived) the family found a few things afterward that didn't even get wet.

If you want to get rid of some stuff I'm starting to teach my advanced class March 28; I'm an independent instructor at a university so any time I can find a good deal for my students for gear I point them in that direction. I could give them your contact info and a "for sale" items list if you want to PM them to me.
Ber :lilbunny:

Slowly seem to be building up a small pile of stuff - the only things i have multiple of are: BP's, wings, regs, wetsuits, fins, tanks and lights. I still use almost all of it throughout the year though depending on whether i dive dry, wet, singles or doubles - i dont think i have any obselete gear as it sounds like the pack rats do :wink:

sell the stuff ... never .. . I love to go to the Diver's flea markets and swap meets in Houston. That's wear I pick up a lot of stuff or trade it for more items. Got a Seaquest BC last year for a trade for a Dacor knife. The knife was one of the large 12 inch models that you can use in place of an extra weight ... the BC was good for parts and I replaced the worn tank band and used the spring on the dump valve to replace a rusty one I had. Besides a lot of my stuff is well worn even by my standards. I did trade a XS BC to a guy here on scubaboard last June for a scuba T-shirt. He was an independent instructor and needed an XS BC for one of his students. Hadn't used the BC in years and it was in good condition. Right now I'm looking for a couple of co2 inflators to fix a horsecollar I'm restoreing. DA Aquamaster suggested that I could go buy them at my local LDS but that would take all the fun out of finding them used and cheap.

I have two Tekna with Tekna ocata, six double hosers two each, DA, Mistral, Royal several BCs,assorted MR12s, Calypsos, Oceanic regs and several assorted back packs and back plate, gobs of masks and fins, dozens of depth guages, assorted knives, lights, junk and all manner of whatnot and this state of affairs is not limited to diving gear. I have a hanger (where I keep aviation stuff) that I own back home, 50 by 50 packed with all sorts of stuff not to mention that on the homestead here and in the shop. I figure I bought it once and if I give it away or sell it I will end up buying it again. Occasionally I give something away to deserving people who really appreciate something I have such as a couple of old Honda 90s recently, a young feller really wanted then badly so I let him HAVE them (with parents permission). Mostly I am a packus rattus extraordinarious. N

SeanQ:
Hmm. Got any large jet fins? :eyebrow:

Actually I have one (yes just one) large Scubapro Jet Fin and the writing on it is still red (orange?), the rubber seems to be in good shape. If you don't mind looking for a mate for it I'll trade ya--what would you like to barter with?
Ber :lilbunny:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom