Is it possible to add OPV Valve to SMB?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

carry93

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi all,

I have a small oral inflating SMB, this is small but handy and useful, around 3.3 feet. Yet, I worry to use it when I am in deep water. (I am a tech diver, I need to perform Deco and sometimes, I need to shoot at 21 Meters).

I have another bigger (around 6 feet) with oral inflation, plus OPV valve and also semi-close.

I am wondering if anyone here have any experience to add the OPV by ownself? If so, can you share with me your experience and appreciated if you can provide steps as well.

Many thanks for your help and info in advance.

Safe diving.

From a Tech perspective and having Deco obligation I would really recommend at least a 6' SMB but Fully Closed! (Super Big Diver's Alert Marker, 6' (1.8 m) long, closed circuit)
Halcyon Surface Marker Buoy's 14.002 *Buy Halcyon at DIVESEEKERS.com 888-SCUBA-47

I personally haven't add an OPV to a product that doesn't already have one, i prefer to leave that to the manufacturers. When it comes to Tec I also prefer not to have home made gear as well.

Thanks for your advise. I do have a 6 feet one but would like to get this 3 feet one as backup but also want to get the invalve in order not to burst in case I use it in deeper water.

Thanks again. =)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom