is it ok to wear ear plugs while diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Leave the 'regular' ear plugs alone---I don't know about the 'newer diver' ones......why not just wear a hood all the time??, can even wear a very thin lyrca one for warm water diving(see link below) for about 8 bucks...

995-DEFAULT-m.jpg

EVO Lycra Dive Hood

You could always buy a thin hood...there are nice lycra ones out there. Do a test with that and see how it goes.

Must type faster! Great minds think alike? :)

Do a search for Pro Ear 2000 mask. It has cups on the side of it that help keep your ears dry. It also has tubes going from your mask to the cups so you can still equalize. I really love this bit of equipment. I can equalize much easier with this mask as well.
Hope that helps.

Thanks again guys, I just went to buy the lcrya and they wanted over 10 bucks shipping on a 7 dollar hood:lam:

I think i'm going to go that route though, just when i have more stuff to buy at once.

thanks again guys!

Maybe you should not let the bubbles distract you from your objective. Try clearing your ears in small pulses every second even a few seconds before you actually start to descend. I believe it is different for everyone but I think maybe technique should be re-evaluated. Just thought it might be something you could try.

Lots of threads on Docs Pro Plugs. I find they are pretty good for keeping a LOT of water out of your ears, but notice no difference equalizing--but I have no trouble with that anyway.

Hi all, I've noticed that on some dives that if the bubbles from my reg start going over my ears on my decent I have a very hard time (and most times) cant clear my ears at depth. Or, if im at my diving level and bubbles are going over my ears and i surface I cant reclear for second dive...

Just wondering if there would be any thing wrong with throwing in a set of ear plugs before diving to keep the water out of my ears... also thought about wearing a hood but not sure how effective it would be besides keeping the bubbles away.

Only once I've used ear plugs after an ear infection for swimming, and the box says clearly not to be used deeper than 10 feet (3 meters).
If you do, the external pressure could push them into the ear canal and they should be removed with surgery.

Back
Top Bottom