Is Hollis discontinuing the DG-03?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

danaero

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I came across a site that said the DG-03 is discontinued, has anyone else seen this? I think this computer just came out Spring 2011 so are there problems with this computer or do the manufacturers update their products this fast?

I have heard from 2 different shops that the DG03 is discontinued. The one shop did say that there were to many problems with them.

He didn't say what kind of issues. I wouldn't worry about it. It is basically the same computer as the Aeris Elite T3 and Oceanic VT3 but with a different algorithm.

I just picked one up have not unpacked it yet and then I read this, my luck. But was going back and forth with the DG-03 and the OCS, picked this one for the option of wireless later. Anyone used this computer with the transmitter, any issues? Thanx for any info.

I just picked one up have not unpacked it yet and then I read this, my luck. But was going back and forth with the DG-03 and the OCS, picked this one for the option of wireless later. Anyone used this computer with the transmitter, any issues? Thanx for any info.

My wife and I have about 15 dives on them with a transmitter.
Cold fresh water mostly, 70 feet or less.

No problems...maybe twice had a signal loss, but corrected within a minute.

The Hollis DG03, Aeris Elite T3, and old Oceanic VT3 are all essentially the same computer manufactured by American Underwater Products American Underwater Products (previously Pelagic Pressure Systems). Oceanic discontinued the VT3 some time ago and now sells the VT4.1 with dual algorithm, compass, 4 gases, step back interface... I've had a VT3 since July 2010, now with 235 absolutely trouble free dives and 251 hours. I made the first battery change in the computer and transmitter only about a month ago, as soon as the low battery icon came up. The VT3 is my primary computer and I have no plans to change. I dive a Geo2 running the DSAT algorithm as backup and have a SPG on my 2nd HP port. I've been happily diving Oceanic computers since 1999. The other 3 divers in my family also dive Oceanic computers, ProPlus 2s.

I've never heard Aeris or Hollis versions have more problems than Oceanic. I guess it's possible that Hollis and/or Aeris eventually plan on updating to the equivalent of the VT4.1 to stay more competetive. Personally, I would expect to pay less for an Elite T3 or a DG03 compared to a VT4.1. If I had either, I'd probably be as happy as I am with my VT3.

Good diving, Craig

Out of curriosity, I priced all 3 current models (computer and transmitter) on scuba.com. Oceanic VT4.1 $1,005 including a $95 rebate, Hollis DG03 $890, Aeriis Elite T3 v.2 $650. Looks to me that the Aeris is the bargain here of the two older models. The newer Oceanic model carries a premium. I paid $900 for my VT3 in 2010. No mention on Aeris or Hollis website of a discontinuation or introduction of a new model.

Scuba shopping often requires careful homework

Last edited:
I just got the DG-03 without a transmitter on Dive Gear Express for $249, transmitter is another $330. Have not done anything with it yet and am toying with using the OCS versus this unit.

Thanks for all the info about the various computers.

I've had my Elite T3 for nearly four years and two hundred plus dives now. No issues whatsoever. Let me rephrase that, no issues that weren't caused by the idiot owner (i.e. myself).

And yes, the newer model is out so I'm not surprised that the Hollis DG03 is being discontinued. I'm sure that the Aeris Elite T3's newer version will be out soon as well. For some reasons, Oceanic brands get a bit of a premium over the Aeris brand even though they're the same computers.

Back
Top Bottom